• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clutch Driven Supercharger

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
So I was told by someone that a Mercedes had a clutch driven supercharger from the factory. I thought that was an interesting idea and had never seen one. I did some searching around on the internet and found that the AMG E55's had an electromagnetic clutch that would engage/disengage the supercharger to provide power when needed and decent gas mileage when power wasn't needed. It would operate just like your A/C compressor.

So my question is how would you tune this? I mean you would have instant boost at any given time. How would the engine cope? Just dump a ton of fuel when it saw the SC kick in? Would you just have a large map for air flow and the ECM would just jump up on the map and use the appropriate AFR?

Just curious if anyone knows about this.

I also found this on eBAY. There are ones that are cheaper, but this had the most pictures.

Last edited:
How would the engine cope? Just dump a ton of fuel when it saw the SC kick in? Would you just have a large map for air flow and the ECM would just jump up on the map and use the appropriate AFR?

You would have to have a large map which isnt a big deal. I mean, even the turbo guys with 90MM MAFs have huge large maps, but dont really sacrifice driveability.

I know when Harold had his Maxima and just upgraded to a large turbo, him and I went out and tuned it out on the street and because it would have lag, when the turbo finally did push full boost, it was fast and was lots of it. :D Consequently, his AFR would spike lean for a fraction of a second regardless of how we adjusted the fuel curve. Of course, those motors didn't have a MAF and I think was tuned according to the TPS and RPM so that could have made a difference.

You would have to have a large map which isnt a big deal. I mean, even the turbo guys with 90MM MAFs have huge large maps, but dont really sacrifice driveability.

I know when Harold had his Maxima and just upgraded to a large turbo, him and I went out and tuned it out on the street and because it would have lag, when the turbo finally did push full boost, it was fast and was lots of it. :D Consequently, his AFR would spike lean for a fraction of a second regardless of how we adjusted the fuel curve. Of course, those motors didn't have a MAF and I think was tuned according to the TPS and RPM so that could have made a difference.

So what did you do for a base tune to start off with to prevent the motor from running lean for extended periods of time? Did you just lean towards the rich side and dial it down until you were good through the entire power band? May seem like a dumb question I guess, but I don't have much experience with this. I am seriously thinking about going down this route.

So what did you do for a base tune to start off with to prevent the motor from running lean for extended periods of time? Did you just lean towards the rich side and dial it down until you were good through the entire power band? May seem like a dumb question I guess, but I don't have much experience with this. I am seriously thinking about going down this route.

I'm guessing this is what he did. I mean, you can always work your way up to more boost and tune for more boost gradually. When we went out, we were pretty much just fine tuning things so most of the work was done. He just needed me in the car to shout at him if the wideband was getting above 13:1.

Looks like a cool concept, do it up Mike :cool:

I'm already doing it... this is why I have been asking about the 90mm MAF, the Xcal and PRP and why I have that GB going on right now...

It's just a matter of time...

Hopefully I have something in time for SZ08... but don't hold your breath

If I accomplish everything I want to do to this car... I will most likely have one of the most unique SVT Contours on this board. All I can say is stay tuned...

On another note I think I'm going to need another DD. This always happens. First it was the Camaro, then the SHO and now the SVT Contour. Whats next.

Last edited:
another SHO? i'm ready for a mustang. i need to sell mine.

I don't need to buy a problem child. If I got another DD it would be something that I wouldn't dream of modifying... something like a Ford Festiva.. no wait then I would try to put an SHO motor in it.... OK something like a Ford Fucus 4 door (less likely that I would try to turn it into a SVT wannabe vs the 3door or 5door)

something like a Ford Fucus 4 door (less likely that I would try to turn it into a SVT wannabe vs the 3door or 5door)

If you got the SPI (worse than the Zetec) with an auto you would never dream of modding it :help:

So how do these clutch driven systems work on the Mercedes? I mean how does the clutch actually engage? At a certain speed?

If you got the SPI (worse than the Zetec) with an auto you would never dream of modding it :help:

So how do these clutch driven systems work on the Mercedes? I mean how does the clutch actually engage? At a certain speed?

I think it engages at WOT... but don't hold me to it.

its a common setup to use over on the probe boards.

That's what I've heard.

i can get more info if you need it. but basically it can be setup to turn on and off w/a switch inside the cabin...so you can cruise around n/a...and roll up on your favorite chump and flip the switch. go to youtube and type in supercharged probe. you'll find some from members brettrod and mattm(both members on probetalk)

i can get more info if you need it. but basically it can be setup to turn on and off w/a switch inside the cabin...so you can cruise around n/a...and roll up on your favorite chump and flip the switch. go to youtube and type in supercharged probe. you'll find some from members brettrod and mattm(both members on probetalk)

Yea if you can send some info my way... always interested to see if theres information out there that I don't already have. Thanks.

Call me ignorant, but how in the name of Favre does this thing work? :shocked: I know how a normal supercharger work (belt driven device that supercharges the air going in)...but this is just too weird for me. :laugh:

I don't really see what the tuning issue is.

Timing and Fueling in the ECU are based upon a table of Load and RPM. More air = more load. It's really not a big deal.

Edit: as for the clutch, it works like a normal clutch so that the pulley on the supercharger free spins. It also opens a bypass to bypass the supercharger rotors.

Last edited:
Doesn't the last fox-based Mustang blown Cobra have a clutch? I know it has a bypass set up to bring in air when the compressor isn't engaged.

Back