• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What kinds of sidemarkers work?

CKtour98

Hard-core CEG'er
I went to Audi the other day and they wanted basically $100/per light, so just wondering what else works (ebay ones?) and if anyone has pics of different setups with whatever sidemarkers they have

I went to Audi the other day and they wanted basically $100/per light, so just wondering what else works (ebay ones?) and if anyone has pics of different setups with whatever sidemarkers they have

Go to a junkyard and get the audi lights you want for much cheaper!

I got the A6 sockets (with bulbs) for about $40 (total) from a local Audi dealer. I bought Depo smoked covers off ebay for around $5-$10. I'm sure those would be a bit more from Audi though.

Morbid, did you have to get the bulbs through Audi? Im going the came route and wasnt sure if i would be able t get the bulb at a parts store.

I got the A6 sockets (with bulbs) for about $40 (total) from a local Audi dealer. I bought Depo smoked covers off ebay for around $5-$10. I'm sure those would be a bit more from Audi though.

wow, Audi here in Ontario wanted $70 just for the bulb+socket and then another $40 just for the cover, and thats just for 1...

you can make any sidemarket you want work I am sure ... if you cut the fender you can make the hella ones work ...

I got some APC one's from a surplus store for $6/pair. Look like the audi/volk one's but rectangular base. Took the dremmel about 30mins per side to get it to fit perfect. Only thing I don't like is that they're screw mount, but it all fits under the lens, and i'm quite pleased with the results. I think I'm into it for $20 with all the wire/connectors/resisters/diodes/shrink tube.

Morbid, did you have to get the bulbs through Audi? Im going the came route and wasnt sure if i would be able t get the bulb at a parts store.
I think Sylvania makes bulbs for them, so you should be able to get those from a parts store. Not sure about the cost difference though.

Man forget that! You can buy the awesome LED sidemarkers by Hella for like 65 bucks. I got those on my car, and they rock.

As for the audi ones, any bulb/socket combo from an A4, Jetta, or Golf will work. Although the Jetta/Golf sidemarkers are very different and won't work on our cars without serious modification, the sockets are the same as the A4.

I have A4 sidemarkers and sockets from a Golf.

hella sidemarkers that I'm currently running (sorry, no upclose installed pics):

IMG_0345.jpg

available here:
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Side_Markers.asp

Those don't look like they'll install without hacking up your fenders. The point of the Audi markers is that they fit with little to no modification to the sidemarker (NO fender cutting).

Those don't look like they'll install without hacking up your fenders. The point of the Audi markers is that they fit with little to no modification to the sidemarker (NO fender cutting).

That is correct, these indeed required cutting of the fender to make them fit.

Oh yeah, they DEFINATELY do require some fender modification. I used a grinder to enlarge the hole, and then sealed the whole thing with tons of RV Silicone sealant. The results are definately worth it, not to mention that they will never burn out. The normal life span of LEDs is 100,000 hours, and since we use turn signals like 2% of all of our driving time, you are all set...

I prefer mine to be on ~1/2 power while the headlights are on, and full power for turn signals. Is that something you can do with leds? I thought there were either on or off.

You are correct, you can't really do that with LED's.

Sure you can. You'd have to rig it up with a diode. But you could have them come on full power, half power, or anything in between. It all depends on how much current you give them; but they aren't only on/off.

Back