• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Horrible MPG 200 tank

hova15

CEG'er
Ok so recently i have been getting 200 TOPS for a the past few months. I recently have changed oil,plugs, and plug wires. Any ideas? i am thinking maybe a bad 02 sensor? how do you check that OR maybe fuel pump filter. Let me know thanks..

You're going to get far worse mileage (depending on where you live) in the winter. Especially if you let the car idle to warm up.

yeah i suppose..its wasnt that good in the summer either plus the car is in a garage during the night so i dont let it idle much at all. Its a 1999, so do you think its worth changing the fuel pump filter? Whats a good way to check an 02 sensor

yeah i suppose..its wasnt that good in the summer either plus the car is in a garage during the night so i dont let it idle much at all. Its a 1999, so do you think its worth changing the fuel pump filter? Whats a good way to check an 02 sensor

If you're not kicking a CEL, I doubt very much that you've got an O2 concern. If you had a problem with the fuel pump filter, you'd likely get a bucking or hesitation, so I doubt that's involved, too. It's true that your winter gas mileage will be lower due to extended warmup cycles where the engine is running rich. While all cars will do this when cold, Fords tend to run particularly filthy at startup, though this is only temporary (and it's better than leaning out). If your mileage seems to have taken a dive out of nowhere, I'd check your thermostat. If it's sticking open, your engine temps aren't getting where they need to be, and the engine computer will run a richer fuel mixture as a result. Your catalytic converters don't particulary care for extended rich running, so I'd check that out sooner than later.

I know this doesn’t help your problem but this winter I went from roughly 27 mpg to 20ish 19 mpg at worst (98 E1 with 44k). I am pretty sure they add additives to fuels in the winter. I am hoping since nothing really changed on my car from summer to now that my fuel mileage will go back up. I know waiting is probably not the advice your looking for but that’s my plan.

I get 190 to a tank, all stop and go. Sux cause im five miles from work and go through a tank a week or so.

Turn off the motor when parking with Las Vegas' famous "ladies of the evening." That'll save a good 2 mpg right there. :laugh:

Well heres something... try to stay off of the gas when your going, even though it sounds amazing, your burning a lot of gas... i know its hard to especially when you get above 3500 rpms. so if you keep it under those rpms you should also get better gas mileage.

Back