• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need help with engine re-install!

tjzollman

New CEG'er
hey i recently removed the engine in my csvt 98 and was wondering if anyone had any descriptive pics of the engine install? i didnt remove the tranny although i am wondering if i should because i do have the third gear grind and it is the synchro? how hard is that to fix?? do i need to take out the tranny or can i do it inside the car??? thanks

thanks... do you know where i can get a synchro under $75?? the dealer wants 75 and i dont want to pay that much...

i don't think this is the situation to be looking to save money. where are you going to get a cheaper price? on a used one from a junkyard? not worth it...

Best bet is to contact Bill Jenkins.... He can get you a good price on the syncro.

But, if the 3rd gear syncro is shot, that trans is likely going to need a rebuild very soon! You could grab one from a junkyard but you don't know the condition of the trans till you get it back into the car. Really not worth the risk unless you can get one for practically nothing.

I would either check on ebay for a new trans or look into having yours rebuilt. Either of those are your best options.

thanks... do you know where i can get a synchro under $75?? the dealer wants 75 and i dont want to pay that much...

I'd just take it to Terry Haines where you can upgrade to the dual blocker 3rd gear syncro. Dealership wont have that. You just take the chance of it grinding again down the road replacing it with the same syncro.

i think i am just going to get mine rebuilt then... its not shot it just grinds a little when going into third it doesnt effect the shift though!!! does anyone have any pics of putting the engine back in!!

i think i am just going to get mine rebuilt then... its not shot it just grinds a little when going into third it doesnt effect the shift though!!! does anyone have any pics of putting the engine back in!!

Sorry no pics, but I just gotta say I really love that comment "its not shot it just grinds a little when going into third" I may have to use that one.....:cool:

Good idea to have it rebuilt (Terry Haines) while most of the tranny may still be salvageable (Terry Haines). When you do get it back together at least run with Ford Honey or Royal Purple fluids (Terry Haines). There is this fellow that does a reall good job on these MTX75's I've heard (Terry Haines) .....what's his name (Terry Haines) I know it is on the tip of my toung (Terry Haines)..... well perhaps one of the other fellows can remember (Terry Haines) it....... LOL

I think he (Terry Haines) may even have a web site or contact info:Your best form of contact to HMS Inc is to:- visit our forum on [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] www.fordcontour.org Thank You .... now if I only could remember that name (Terry Haines)[/FONT]

BTW why did you pull the engine?

Only mildly trying to be a smart ass, more directly trying to make you see the point of past wisdom..... You have an SVT and going cheap on Tranny parts and not doing proper maintenance in a timely fashion is a disaster waiting to happen.

Good Luck,

AF

Sorry no pics, but I just gotta say I really love that comment "its not shot it just grinds a little when going into third" I may have to use that one.....:cool:

Good idea to have it rebuilt (Terry Haines) while most of the tranny may still be salvageable (Terry Haines). When you do get it back together at least run with Ford Honey or Royal Purple fluids (Terry Haines). There is this fellow that does a reall good job on these MTX75's I've heard (Terry Haines) .....what's his name (Terry Haines) I know it is on the tip of my toung (Terry Haines)..... well perhaps one of the other fellows can remember (Terry Haines) it....... LOL

I think he (Terry Haines) may even have a web site or contact info:Your best form of contact to HMS Inc is to:- visit our forum on [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] www.fordcontour.org Thank You .... now if I only could remember that name (Terry Haines)[/FONT]

BTW why did you pull the engine?

Only mildly trying to be a smart ass, more directly trying to make you see the point of past wisdom..... You have an SVT and going cheap on Tranny parts and not doing proper maintenance in a timely fashion is a disaster waiting to happen.

Good Luck,

AF

You're not talking about Terry Haines are you?

hey aussie ford.. i can guarantee you i know what im doing i have been working on cars and i take care of my cars very well!! i just didnt know that the svts had :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty transmissions in them!! i have fixed synchros in other cars without taking out the transmission, so if your going to be a smartass then dont reply to my threads!!!

hey aussie ford.. i can guarantee you i know what im doing i have been working on cars and i take care of my cars very well!! i just didnt know that the svts had :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty transmissions in them!! i have fixed synchros in other cars without taking out the transmission, so if your going to be a smartass then dont reply to my threads!!!

Dude take it easy. He wasn't being a smartass, just trying blantanty trying to tell you to take the transmission to Terry Haines. I mean, be was one of the design engineers for Ford for the MTX-75. If anyone knows this transmission, its him. I would agree that the stock differential is not the greatest in the SVT, but a syncro grinding is generally a driver issue, not a trans issue.

Last edited:
i understand what your saying i bought the car as a fun project the synchro was already messed up so i wasnt the one that messed it up! i just dont appreciate (like any other mechanic) people telling me that i dont know what im doing... i just have never messed with a newer ford. i always messed with hondas and eagle talons. so i thought a ford contour svt would be a fun project just need a little help! thanks man!

I don’t think you actually read my post very well, but I know that a little levity is usually enjoyed around here not trounced on, but you might not have under stood it so that's not really your fault. In a month or so it would be.....

As has been stated by several others in this thread TH is the guru of the MTX75 and one can learn much from him. The tranny in your SVT is actually the same one in any of the V6’s (well there is a bit of difference depending on the years Pre 98 and 98+, so I should say for your year) only the clutch and flywheel are different. The differential is also the same, but unlike many other parts there are several upgraded options for them. This is good since this is an obsolete car and most after market suppliers never did or no longer offer parts for it. There are no longer any new transmissions or differentials available as of today actually according to Bat Inc. Rebuilts are available.

The best advice on parts is usually to use genuine Ford parts in your car and / or parts from places like BATINC.com. These are listed on the opening pages of the site under where to buy parts. While these are seldom the cheapest option they have proven over time to be one of the best ways to go for these cars. Bill Jenkins at Team Ford who is a member here gives us a break on price when we order through him on line. Getting cheap parts for this car will only cause you pain. About anyone here will verify that one.

We’re all glad you’ve gotten the car and that you’ve come here for assistance. I don’t see where you say you bought the car with a problem, or that you are a mechanic. In you original posts. There are many issues with these cars which is kinda of why this site exists….. to share the pain a bit… but, they also have a very fun side and in that I think they far surpass Hondas and Eagles.. IMO

After getting past your initial pain of ownership I’m sure you will agree.

Contact Todras about getting a ford maintenance and repair CD for your car it is well worth the few bucks he asks for it.

Just don’t take comments too personal this is a web site you’re here because you want to be, at least enjoy the abuse. It really isn’t personal.

Lastly, you don’t know me well enough to call me a smartass, I haven’t had much of an opportunity to piss you off yet. Heck compared to many here I’m not even in the running……LOL

But if you insist on doing that you need to take a number and get in line like everyone else, today ain’t your day and tomorrow doesn’t look good either ….. LOL

AF

PS: How about telling us a bit about your car and where you are at. There may be a fellow CEG'r in the area that is willing to give you a hand and advice. What color is it how, many miles on it, did you get a good deal on it, what mods have been done..... Why did you pull the engine in the first place?

Was it a sunny day and you thought it would be easier to polish the oil pan and valve covers if it was hanging on a hook where is was easy to reach? No really what was the initial problem you were having...... I know there are a lot of pics here regarding pulling the engine.

Last edited:
Why did you pull the engine in the first place?

Was it a sunny day and you thought it would be easier to polish the oil pan and valve covers if it was hanging on a hook where is was easy to reach? No really what was the initial problem you were having...... I know there are a lot of pics here regarding pulling the engine.

it's always easier to polish when they are just kinda dangling, might wanna go ahead and put some chevy orange on the valve covers, heck maybe even CHROME!!!! and a NOS sticker......do all that and you'll run 10 flat in the 1/4

Back