• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Aftermarket manifold and headers?

ArT2Oo0

CEG'er
Is there any place online i can view and buy these? Decent ones for the zetec 2.0L engine

This is the header that I've got...

http://www.promotiontuning.com/Merc...07&Category_Code=9902CougarPerformanceHeaders

Here's a thread with some good pics of it on a Cougar...

http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=8270&highlight=header

As for intakes, the only one that I'm aware of was the FRPP intake which required machining to fit. Clean you current one and you will see some nice gains, especially if you have a Pre-98.

HTH,
BP
AWESOME this is a big help to me thanks so much!

Sure! Just so you know, you will need a MIL eliminator if you use that header. It is a small circuit that tricks your car's computer into thinking that it still has a catalytic converter. Zxtuner has them...

http://www.zxtuner.com/product.sc?categoryId=24&productId=209

You will also see some nice gains from a UDP (underdrive pulley) and by using the SleeperZ cold air intake modification.

BTW, what year Contour/Mystique do you have and where are you located?

HTH,
BP

Last edited:
Im from Port chester ny i have a 98 contour gl ....... currently i got an intake with an electric "supercharger" ..... i have a rapid velocity performance module off the iat sensor i got a dynomax muffler but im changing it to a 3a racing one

its my everyday car as well as my project

Im from Port chester ny i have a 98 contour gl ....... currently i got an intake with an electric "supercharger" ..... i have a rapid velocity performance module off the iat sensor i got a dynomax muffler but im changing it to a 3a racing one

its my everyday car as well as my project

Is that module actually enriching the fuel when you flip on that electric fan? If not, I doubt you are getting the full potential, if any from that setup. I was thinking about doing something like that on mine when I had it, involving a vacuum cleaner motor...

I know more about engines now, so I realize that without a change in the spark tables and fuel delivery, increased intake pressure would yield minimal gains, especially on a 2-liter. 4 horses max, I'd say.

Anyway, tell me how it works on your setup?

Here is a post with some info about another header (cheaper) which worked pretty well (I have it on my contour):

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=22307

well whats the difference is the HP gonna gain the same?

The only reason i need a mani is cause i brought my car to a mechanic and he said the mani is cracked but i think hes full of it cause my car runs fine.....the only reason im deciding after market headers ....A cause i like speed and power.....B cause i blew a gasket on the stock and its pouring hot exhaust in the engine bay ........ not good for winter cause you smell it thought the heater as soon as the heater goes on -cough-

but hey if this weapon r is just as good why would i spend more money?

my setup hasn't been 100% put on correctly box tape dosnt act as a good coupler :-D And my boost gauge has been mounted up with plumbing parts gimme some time to collect money shell be perty

Wish me luck on my court date hopfuly i dont gotta go to jail.......itll stop me from money and making my project hold off even longer .......... F***ING PROBATION

please excuse my language

oh and one more thing
Is it easy o take headers off?????? if so ill just do it myself save myself labor money

Last edited:
Sure! Just so you know, you will need a MIL eliminator if you use that header. It is a small circuit that tricks your car's computer into thinking that it still has a catalytic converter. Zxtuner has them...

http://www.zxtuner.com/product.sc?categoryId=24&productId=209

You will also see some nice gains from a UDP (underdrive pulley) and by using the SleeperZ cold air intake modification.

BTW, what year Contour/Mystique do you have and where are you located?

HTH,
BP

About the MIL Eliminator is this just t prevent the check light?

Yes. If you do have a CEL, it will negate having any performance mods because your 'tour will just be running in limp mode anyway.

Not having a CEL lets your engine learn and tune itself to the mods that you've done. That's why it's important to disconnect your battery after doing any mods.

BP

Using a header (and thus having to use a mil eliminator) shouldn't cause any performance gains. There are two o2 sensors. The header that I got comes with two bungs. The only problem is the second sensor (for the cat) doesn't work because the cat is now behind it. So the mill pretty much keeps the cel from coming on for a "bad cat", not for fuel mixture. At least this is what I have gathered from many postings and research.

Although to note... I do have a lean mixture currently because the egr tube is not connected to the header yet. I'm going to get this connected sometime ... just lazy I guess :eek:

Oh, and for loudness. Turned out I blue the gasket apart between the header and the collector pipe, the gasket which comes with the header is all paper and sucks. Replaced it, car sounds GREAT now, nice and low grumble (nice as you can get for a four banger).

in the way of intake mani's the focus guys buy the 2000 zetec mani's as they have a better design then the later kind. We share the same manifolds, so we have no issues there. If you really want to, a sct focus mani might bolt up or any aftermarket focus manifold. :cool:

It'd be interesting to put the SVT Focus manifold on and rig up an RPM activated switch to change runners. Kinda like the Durkatecs. ;)

BP

LMAO good point oem LoL

-does more research-
before you rip your hair out trying to find manifolds for the zetec, there are currently none produced for the zetec. your only option would be an SVT manifold but im not sure that would work because of the IMRC that it has. Ford Racing (FRPP) did make one for the focus but it is no longer made and, IIRC, it had fitment issues on anything but the focus.

before you rip your hair out trying to find manifolds for the zetec, there are currently none produced for the zetec. your only option would be an SVT manifold but im not sure that would work because of the IMRC that it has. Ford Racing (FRPP) did make one for the focus but it is no longer made and, IIRC, it had fitment issues on anything but the focus.

that suuuuuuucks..........i looked on a focus racing site for a manifold and i came accross a supercharger that comes with one... for the fitting of the super charger im assuming.........but hey would that be an option for future ideas for the tour?

i can wait and just get headers for now

...... oh oh oh is it possib le to get a 50 shot of nos with the supercharger?

Back