• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turbo 5-Speed Caravan

It makes sense, but sadly these days with traffic cameras you're better off slamming on your brakes and risking the rear-end accident.

Yellow lights are in place as GREEN TIME. When a transportation engineer analyzes a traffic signal, the yellow light is considered green time, but you are supposed to stop for red. The meaning for the yellow light seems to have changed in the minds of lawmakers :shrug:. They think as soon as you see a yellow light you need to slam on your brakes, which is a bad idea. You will then get rear-ended as Matt said. The only time you SHOULD slow down for a yellow is when you know you can do so safely. If you can't stop, not a big deal, because most intersections have an all-red phase that lasts for a little less than a second to allow all cars in the intersection to safely travel through it. Safety is the most important thing here and the safest thing is to go straiiiight through a yellow.

problem is I have seen people completely blow through the red light after it has clearly been red .... but I agree, you proceed on the yellow if you can't safely stop in time.

problem is I have seen people completely blow through the red light after it has clearly been red ....

Even this instance isn't that harmful. In addition to the all-red time, there is also a startup delay for the car that will be getting a green light. It'll be at least another second before the vehicle starts moving. At best it would be a half-second reaction time to the green light, and, at best it would be a half second take take foot off brake, (release clutch), and engage throttle.

Even this instance isn't that harmful. In addition to the all-red time, there is also a startup delay for the car that will be getting a green light. It'll be at least another second before the vehicle starts moving. At best it would be a half-second reaction time to the green light, and, at best it would be a half second take take foot off brake, (release clutch), and engage throttle.

Yuo have obviously never seen me take off from a green light!!

my point was they didn't even try to stop, they just went right through the light after it had clearly been red ... and I to often take right off when the light turns green .... really have to be careful with that ...

problem is I have seen people completely blow through the red light after it has clearly been red .... but I agree, you proceed on the yellow if you can't safely stop in time.

Sh*t, that's how it is in Miami -- and you learn to accept it. Three cars will blast through, routinely, after the light is blatantly red. This is more important when you're coming from the other way, and your light has just turned green. Left turns on red on one way streets are another creative variation. I had some broad beeping at me because I wouldn't take a left on red.

One time leaving Aircougar's house, I was making a right turn onto Fuller Rd to get to 291. The light turned red, so I slowed down and stopped. The truck behind me (who had been tailgating to begin with) whipped around my left side and made his right turn, cutting off the cars that had the green light.

Crazy people in that area...

while in the crown vic, i try to jump the green light at every opportunity, hoping to get clipped by that one arse hole that runs the light.
i will get more for the car if its totaled than i could sell it for!
haha

Back