• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Only replace rear struts for temp fix?

KerryKool

Hard-core CEG'er
After getting my new slightly wider tires (225/40/18) I've been noticing quite a bit of rubbing in the rear wheel fender-wells. I've already rolled the fenders and did a little cutting of the plastic fender-well. It only rubs going over speed bumps and turning corners quickly.

I'm asking is it advisable to only replace the rear struts with stock springs or replace springs and struts to save the hassel of doing it again.

I am planning on getting BAT suspension eventually, would I be able use my stock springs with the BAT struts? I'm saying no, but then again I would like to avoid paying for rear struts now and later.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I think you answered your own question. Your going to pay twice to change the suspension in a short period of time, it's not worth it.

Save up for the bat kit and be done with it.

It's not a good idea to use BAT struts with stock springs. Save yourself the trouble of multiple jobs; put in the entire BAT kit at once.

It's not a good idea to use BAT struts with stock springs. Save yourself the trouble of multiple jobs; put in the entire BAT kit at once.

It's not a good idea to put the struts on only to upgrade the springs shortly after.

But, from what i've heard BAT struts combined with stock springs should help improve the balance of the car.

I do agree though, do it all at once. Do it once, do it right and be done with it!

You guys conviced me. Anything I should replace in addtion to the suspension? I'm sure the upper strut mounts could be replaced being that they are 12.5yrs old.

You guys conviced me. Anything I should replace in addtion to the suspension? I'm sure the upper strut mounts could be replaced being that they are 12.5yrs old.

Could; they're expensive though. LCAs? Sway bar end links? Sway bar bushings?

I'd get the car up and check all the bushings. As Matt R said, check the LCA's... Usually those bushings go bad!

Also, check tie-rod ends and ball joints as well. Much easier to do while you're swapping suspension!

Looks like I'll be doing an enitre overhall of the suspension. I'll have to check out what need to be replace and make a list.

Would Team Ford Parts be the best place (i.e. cheapest) I could find the replacements?

Back