• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New 3L questions: Gas mileage, SVT TB

PurpleMystique

Hard-core CEG'er
Okay, I've had my 3.0 SVT for a couple of weeks now, and I have a few quetsions. First off, my gas mileage is terrible. With mixed driving biased towards in town I'm getting UNDER 15 MPG...we're talking like 12 mpg. The best I can possibly do on the highway is 21 to 22 mpg. I had warmonger tune my car for gas mileage and I got the tune successfully installed last week, but I know I shouldn't be doing this horribly, especially with 91 octane. When I pulled the 3.0 tb off to play with it, I noticed the inside of the UIM was wet...maybe with gas, but I couldn't smell very well. What could this mean? And how can I improve my gas mileage? Even with my heavy foot, I'd pull 22-24mpg with mixed driving and the 2.5. Getting half of that is NOT acceptable!

Also, after optimizing my SVT TB I decided to put it on today to look at fitment, but I'm not sure if it will even go on there with the brake booster in the way. Which way should the TB be oriented? Either way something interferes with the throttle cable cam's movement and I don't want to risk getting the throttle stuck open, and some of the 3.0 UIM gasket is visible above the TB no matter which way it's turned. I installed it as shown, and the car started, revved, and idled fine.

im000080bt8.jpg

im0000822fi1.jpg

Thirdly, there's a connector that seems like it isn't hooked up to anything...any ideas where it's supposed to go? There is a plug right by the schrader valve on the fuel rail that doesn't have anything plugged in, but the two don't match.

im000081xh0.jpg

Yep, there's definitely gas in the IM. Why is this? And should something be plugged into the black connector on the fuel rail (visible in the second picture)?

My SVT TB had gas on it after only being on the car for less than a minute.

im000084eo0.jpg

im000083ew9.jpg

From my understanding... if you're not using an OEM style throttlebody, then you'd need to plug the IAC port behind the t/b, and plumb it into the intake pipe like it is on the 2.5L.

questions

what fuel rail did you use?
what fuel regulator did you use?
what style fuel system is in your car?

what I see going on

looks like a taurus fuel rail that was turned around because of the angle of the line coming out from under the uim. next I see no electrical or vacuum connection to the pressure regulator on the fuel rail. so that leads to the last question of the fuel system. I don't think you can not just not use the return line if you have a return fuel system. and if you have returnless you need the pcm plugging into the regulator.

bottom line I believe you need to put a contour fuel regulator on that fuel rail and get a vacuum connection to it! and an electrical connection if your car is returnless

I have a '99 returnless SVT, and I'm using Joey's fuel rail mod to convert my fuel system to return-style (I think).

um, the fuel system mod is for a return system car can be connected to a stock returnless fuel rail so that a fuel rail doesn't have the be brazed to make it work ....

normally only 2K SVTs are returnless, normally not 99's .... but if your car is infact returnless you don't need to do anything but plug you fuel line into the fuel rail ....

I got 29 MPG on my Turbo 3L on a long road trip that I took it on. :) What is your fuel pressure at? Too much pressure in the rail will sure as hella cause your injectors to dump more. I assume you don't have a wideband. I'm sure your car is running rich as heck to get only 12mpg with normal daily driving!

um, the fuel system mod is for a return system car can be connected to a stock returnless fuel rail so that a fuel rail doesn't have the be brazed to make it work ....

normally only 2K SVTs are returnless, normally not 99's .... but if your car is infact returnless you don't need to do anything but plug you fuel line into the fuel rail ....

Oops, I got it backwards. My car was originally a return style, and the fuel rail mod converted it to returnless. I'll check the fuel pressure over my lunch break.

1. Remove that throttle body and put the 3L throttle body back on. That hole in the intake above the SVT throttle body is going to create an intake leak. The IAC pulls air through that port from your 3L throttle body which covers that opening. If you drive like that it will correct for the lean condition by dumping fuel in giving you bad gas mileage.

2. The connector is for your IMRC which you don't have any more because you are using an oval port 3L without the 2.5L intakes.

3. You definitely have a return fuel system based on your pictures and the fuel pressure sounds normal.

You should be seeing a check engine light with that intake leak.

Last edited:
Sorry for not making it clear, but the SVT TB was on for about a minute to test fit it. The 3.0 TB has been and will always be on there when I'm driving the car.

I need to know now why I'm getting fuel in my UIM.

Oops, I got it backwards. My car was originally a return style, and the fuel rail mod converted it to returnless. I'll check the fuel pressure over my lunch break.

u do NOT have a returnless. u have two lines running to and fro ur tank into the fuel block. joey's fuel mod only helps us return style folks out to use the rail others use. i have the same set up.

Blackcoug caught the problem you need to cover the hole above the throttle body up you are drawing in unmeasured air which will clip the fuel maps making the car go into open loop which is really rich to save the motor. The fuel block does not have anything to do with the MPG it does exactly what it should do maintain 40 psi but once you fix your TB by putting back on the taurus TB you will be back up and running smoothly. Joey

Back