• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L Swap Starts July 21 :D

SoopaCooga

Veteran CEG'er
When I bought a used Cougar back in 2001, it was my intention to do follow in the footsteps of David Z, Brad Noon, Demon, and Warmonger by swapping in a 3.0. The one thing holding me back was the 100,000 mile warranty that came with the car. Since crossing the 100K threshold, I have been scheming. My shopping list has grown and my bank account has shrunk, but the day is almost here! To be installed July 21 is a low-compression, oval-port, 2003 Taurus 3L fed by a Nautilus Performance turbocharger. Although I had the option to take the same route as PuckPuck and go for 500 HP, I thought a daily driver should be more civil, so we lowered the target to ~350 HP. :D

Here's what's currently in the garage:

* Buckshot-Prepped Engine [See below for specs & pics]
* Nautilus Performance Turbocharger Kit [See Page 2]
* MSDS Headers
* SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch Kit
* SVT Flywheel (Resurfaced) [Thanks, 00SVTGA!]
* Torsen LSD
* Upgraded shift forks (1/2, 3/4, 5/R)
* Differential, output-shaft seals
* XCAL2 Tuning
* Steeda Battery Relocation Kit
* Nautilus Performance Big Brake Kit (Front and Rear)
* Focus SVT Rotors (Front)

I'm at the point now where I'm doing last minute shopping to ensure that everything is ready to go on July 21. I'll have to pore over everyone else's lists to see if I'm forgetting anything. Feel free to chime in!

Last edited:
Vanity Shots

Vanity Shots

The engine was rebuilt by Rick (a.k.a. Buckshot77) with the following components:

8.5:1 Diamond pistons (.020 overbore)
Pauter rods
Kinger PnP heads
Balanced motor assembly
New timing assemblies
Clevite main bearings
Clevite rod bearings
ARP head studs
New oil pump
Upgraded oil pan

For better or worse (richer or poorer?), I am using the 3L UIM as well as the heads. Perhaps that's suboptimal for performance, but that's how the motor was built, and I don't want to spend another $1500 on it for an SVT UIM, port-matched heads, gaskets, and reassembly.

And now for the vanity shots:

50.jpg

50.jpg

50.jpg

50.jpg

50.jpg

Last edited:
I want one :cry:

If you don't mind me asking.. How much all that run you? (engine)

Last edited:
Thats similar to my setup but I'm minus the rods/pistons/bearings but plus SVT cams and intakes mated to the Kinger heads.

And no turbo yet lol but I'm saving ;)

Good luck I'd like to hit the 350whp goal you have as well.

I want one :cry:

If you don't mind me asking.. How much all that run you? (engine)

This motor is over-built for my goals, but I got a good deal on it. Honestly, the cheapest route would be to buy a turbo'ed SVT from the Classifieds.

When I bought a used Cougar back in 2001, it was my intention to do follow in the footsteps of David Z, Brad Noon, Demon, and Warmonger by swapping in a 3.0. The one thing holding me back was the 100,000 mile warranty that came with the car. Since crossing the 100K threshold, I have been scheming. My shopping list has grown and my bank account has shrunk, but the day is almost here! To be installed July 21 is a low-compression, oval-port, 2003 Taurus 3L fed by a Nautilus Performance turbocharger. Although I had the option to take the same route as PuckPuck and go for 500 HP, I thought a daily driver should be more civil, so we lowered the target to ~350 HP. :D

Here's what's currently in the garage:

* Buckshot-Prepped Engine
* Nautilus Performance Turbocharger Kit
* MSDS Headers
* SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch Kit and spare, new, V6 TOB
* SVT Flywheel?
* Torsen LSD
* Upgraded shift forks (1/2, 3/4, 5/R)
* Differential, output-shaft seals
* XCAL2 Tuning
* Steeda Battery Relocation Kit
* Nautilus Performance Big Brake Kit (Front and Rear)
* Focus SVT Rotors (Front)

I'm at the point now where I'm doing last minute shopping to ensure that everything is ready to go on July 21. I'll have to pore over everyone else's lists to see if I'm forgetting anything. Feel free to chime in!

hey i admire you, im doin a B/S 3L swap hoping it runs lol.... thats awsome your gonna be doing all that can't wait to see it run!!!!

So you're using the 3L LIM as well I take it? If you are using straight 3L heads I would imagine you are.

If so this new potential group buy may be of interest to you ;)

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=15214

That adapter plate appears to be like Bugzuki's, which is for mating the 2.5 "split-port" UIM to the 3.0 "oval-port" LIM. As you surmised, I'm using the 3.0 UIM and heads. I think the confusion arises from people using the term "full" to describe a setup with 3.0 heads even though they are mated to the 2.5L UIM.

Please tell me you painted some valve covers for it!

I've seen some beauties posted here, but I probably won't get to do that before installation. I had the engine shipped straight to my installer, DanG.

Last edited:
No, that adapter plate is for mating the 2.5 "split-port" UIM to the 3.0 "oval-port" LIM. As you surmised, I'm using the 3.0 UIM and heads. I think the confusion arises from people using the term "full" to describe a setup with 3.0 heads even though they are mated to the 2.5L UIM.

From what I've read I get the impression that it isn't an adapter plate, its going to be an entire LIM that allows you to use the 2.5 UIM without having to port-match the heads (the expensive/difficult part). So you could obtain an SVT UIM and to use in conjunction with the new LIM. I just don't like the plastic 3L uppers :shrug:

From what I've read I get the impression that it isn't an adapter plate, its going to be an entire LIM that allows you to use the 2.5 UIM without having to port-match the heads (the expensive/difficult part). So you could obtain an SVT UIM and to use in conjunction with the new LIM. I just don't like the plastic 3L uppers :shrug:

well if that's the case, i'm interested in the outcome, but it won't be ready in time for my install.

Last edited:
hey soopa! Is DanG taking orders now? His wife's either having a baby, or had a baby this month. Did he decide to accept jobs or u've just been on his list 4 a while?

Baby is due end of August. Baby shower is this weekend. I booked the last two weekends Dan offered.

Yeah, DanG is done doing swaps. I've done 5 here (some 2.5 some 3L), and im within 50 miles of him, so if you're interested..

Back