• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dyno 2/13/2008 3 liter intakes test

20 on it doing what?it might make most peak hp. but in the real world USALBLE power through out the band means more to most people

Did you test only up to 6200:confused: .

I see better tq numbers up top but it seems it doesn't do too much more than a stock 3l tb.

Let me ask you, how much of a difference does having the 65mmtb feel on the car. Butt dyno wise.

Did you test only up to 6200:confused: .

I see better tq numbers up top but it seems it doesn't do too much more than a stock 3l tb.

Let me ask you, how much of a difference does having the 65mmtb feel on the car. Butt dyno wise.
harry,i've run a 65mm tb on a few diff. occasions for a good amount of time...ear dyno says it sounds louder,which tells the butt dyno "we've got gains here!!" lol. seriously,the car felt like it pulled slightly better:shrug:

only pulled to 6200 cause the car was screaming, and i dont get much higher than that autoxing so we didnt see the need to go higher

the intake from filter to 3L uim is all 3" and i could tell the difference. it does pull a lot more, and it whistles all the time, sounds like a SC

harry,i've run a 65mm tb on a few diff. occasions for a good amount of time...ear dyno says it sounds louder,which tells the butt dyno "we've got gains here!!" lol. seriously,the car felt like it pulled slightly better:shrug:

See its funny that everyone correlates sound with power. I think more
sound = less power in many situations:shrug: .

Educated people sometimes can differentiate between real gains and i think i feel something.See i like specifics, what rpms does it feel best, what rpms did it feel worse etc.

I hope joey tries the 65mm when he does his dyno testing.

only pulled to 6200 cause the car was screaming, and i dont get much higher than that autoxing so we didnt see the need to go higher

the intake from filter to 3L uim is all 3" and i could tell the difference. it does pull a lot more, and it whistles all the time, sounds like a SC

Was it really 61 degrees when you did your first pull at 5641 rpms the numbers were at its peak. AFR 12.633

At 71 degrees during your second pull you got better numbers earlier in the rpms at 5400 rpms. AFR 13.688

Last edited:
If you wanna do the test yourself just grab a simple datalogger and log MAF voltage. More voltage = more air = more power

If it's making much of a difference you'd be able to see it.

See its funny that everyone correlates sound with power. I think more
sound = less power in many situations:shrug: .

Educated people sometimes can differentiate between real gains and i think i feel something.See i like specifics, what rpms does it feel best, what rpms did it feel worse etc.

I hope joey tries the 65mm when he does his dyno testing.

I agree that more sound doesn't always equal more power, absolutely. Folks, often kids always assume they're much faster with that fart can and loud open element filter, but when is more quiet, faster? Generally things are engineered to be quiet at the expense of optimum HP for the everyday average car driver, not the gear head.

perhaps sarcasam doesnt translate well through the intraw3b. but my comment on more sound = more power was meant to be sarcastic

Joey any updates???

Did you find a new engine etc? When do you plan on hitting the dyno again.

Joey any updates???

Did you find a new engine etc? When do you plan on hitting the dyno again.

I want to take the motor down I am hoping I can get the motor up and running soon. I have four manifolds to test for the dyno and I am ready to see this car done but I am still looking for a motor for cheap because the customer did not pay for this at all and he not expecting a new motor either for free but a running one..............lol Joey

First dyno run will be Mazda6VVT intake/ oval port LIM
Second run will be taurus 2000 intake/ oval port LIM
third run will be SVT UIM / LIM MOD w/stock airbox
fourth run will be SVT UIM /LIM MOD w/CAI with accordian
Fifth run will be SVT UIM/ LIM MOD w/CAI with ram air
any other suggestions let me know

Interesting exercise for intakes, but I suspect it will show us little. My money is on the Mazda UIM simply because the SVT intake setup is designed for secondaries - which should put more power under the curve overall. In an open flow scenario like this, it may offer more available volume up top for those pushing the redline to 7k & beyond, but power will suffer under 4k.

If it were possible to add to the list split port 3L heads and SVT UIM/LIM combo with secondaries, that would be the difinitive comparison with the above on the intake debate - whatever way it turns out.

Interesting exercise for intakes, but I suspect it will show us little. My money is on the Mazda UIM simply because the SVT intake setup is designed for secondaries - which should put more power under the curve overall. In an open flow scenario like this, it may offer more available volume up top for those pushing the redline to 7k & beyond, but power will suffer under 4k.

If it were possible to add to the list split port 3L heads and SVT UIM/LIM combo with secondaries, that would be the difinitive comparison with the above on the intake debate - whatever way it turns out.

From the sounds of it he's trying to do it without modifying the heads at all. So I doubt we will see the SVT UIM/LIM combo.

one that you might add, eventhough it might not fit under the hood is the escape uim. it has shorter runners than the old style tarus plastic uims but it it is taller

one that you might add, eventhough it might not fit under the hood is the escape uim. it has shorter runners than the old style tarus plastic uims but it it is taller
Yeah... that would be good just to see the differences. Also, if someone has an ST220 UIM they can let Joey test with... THAT would be really cool to see the differences.

Yeah... that would be good just to see the differences. Also, if someone has an ST220 UIM they can let Joey test with... THAT would be really cool to see the differences.

Only 2 or 3 people have them. I doubt they are willing to give it up.

But hey, you never know:shrug:

From the sounds of it he's trying to do it without modifying the heads at all. So I doubt we will see the SVT UIM/LIM combo.

Agreed. Porting the heads is something most would rather avoid.

This could actually be quite telling for the LIM mod that has been developed. The larger volume of the SVT UIM with the tapered shape to the oval port should prove an interesting exercise.

I hope to see the results posted soon...

well the new motor for the car is being dropped off today from LKQ and I will be making a large spacer behind the TB for the SVT UIM to see if increasing the plenum size makes any difference on the power. Plus I will test the 65mm TB on the setup to see if any gains are there too. Right now we have four and possibly a ST220 manifold to test making it five different manifolds hitting the dyno. I will be hard to work this week putting this motor together along with another 3 liter turbo that is 60 % done now. Joey

Back