• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear Dome Light

can't see the link.

but i'm willing to say that it's the mystique rear dome light, which has been done, there is a how to on the main page.

if it is not the same, then i am mistaken, but since the mystique one is OEM it looks the best.

You mean this? :D

domelight2.jpg

domelight1.jpg

By far one of my favorite mods. Especially useful if you drive around at night a lot. It's nice to be able to get stuff out of the backseat and actually be able to see it!

that link that you posted is for the front dome light not the rear

WTF are you talking about? You on drugs?

Mystique rear dome light conversion
[SIZE=-2]Author: Louis Wang
Applicable to: All Contours
Added: 09/19/2002
Updated: 09/19/2002
[/SIZE]

Then after the new dome light is installed don't forget to install a 99-00 dimmer switch so you can turn on your interior lights with the extra position on the switch....:laugh:

PS get some extra "A" pillar clips b4 starting as usually one will break especially in the cold weather.

WTF are you talking about? You on drugs?

Mystique rear dome light conversion
[SIZE=-2]Author: Louis Wang
Applicable to: All Contours
Added: 09/19/2002
Updated: 09/19/2002
[/SIZE]

lol buddy your on drugs , but its okay everybody has a crutch ;) :laugh:

Then after the new dome light is installed don't forget to install a 99-00 dimmer switch so you can turn on your interior lights with the extra position on the switch....:laugh:

Wait, how is the 99-00 dimmer installed? What wires need to be run? I thought about doing it but figured it was too complicated. I do love that feature on my 00 SVT. It'd be nice to have it on my 98.

Wait, how is the 99-00 dimmer installed? What wires need to be run? I thought about doing it but figured it was too complicated. I do love that feature on my 00 SVT. It'd be nice to have it on my 98.

Ok I'm going to wing this since I don't have the thing in front of me right now, but the pre 99's have 3 wires the 99-00's have 4. It is the same connector with an extra wire. That extra wire goes to the courtsey light ground wire. I think the wires for the c-light are orange and black and the 4th wire on the connector is black/white. The extra position on the switch just connects the ground like the door switch does and that's how it works.

So the wires on the connector are:
Dash light power in, dash light power out (through the dimmer) Or/Wh, & Bl/Or may not be the right colors on yous as they varied according to the year.
Ground - Black
Courtesy light ground - Bk/Wh

What do you need to do? Simple. You need to add the fourth wire to your 3 wire connector.
What I did was got the switch and connector at the JY, cut the wires as long a possible for a pig tail. Then I didn't want to splice all my wires so I cut the wire out of that connector. It is easy to put it in yours but I couldn't get it to release from the original w/o wrecking it so I cut it out. Then just add it to yours in the correct position and extend it as necessary to splice it to the black wire on the courtsey light in the footwell on the pass side. Plug in the switch and test B4 putting everything back together and go have an adult beverage......:laugh:

Dimmer Switches 1.jpg

Dimmer Switches 2.jpg

DS Conn back.jpg

DS Conn front.jpg

DS &  Conn.jpg

Last edited:
All this talk on dimmer switches caused me to do some looking at them, and the info I acquired will posted in another thread.... all you ever wanted to know about a dimmer switch and more..... LOL

AF

Back