• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

V6 Top Speed?

i heard from a buddy that his escape, turn off(engine stoped ect) when he hit the govener and my dads(he was driving) old cadilac elderado would go into limp mode(after hitting the govener) until it went under a certain speed. What will the contour do, im not about to test it out.

Last edited:
hitting the governor in a contour is friggan scary, it actually cuts the fuel to the motor, so it just bucks REALLY hard, then starts to slow the car down.

actually it doesn't cut fuel, that would be extremely bad for the motor. I do believe it cuts the timing ...

ok it does just remove timing, explaination posted by DanG on Neco

brapple / frinesi2:

Not correct. There are very few things as dangerous and stupid as pulling fuel and instigating a lean condition as an engine approaches redline. Craig Flango (blast from the past) can tell you about that...

Short of a physical connection to something spinning at speeds greater than 6750 (i.e. missed shift, boom), the ECU won't let you rev the engine that high. The first thing it does is yanks spark timing right out from under the engine, so the combustion occurs too late in the cylinder event to produce any power to rev faster. Combustion occurs, but it's useless power-wise. Only if you've exceeded the hard limiter does it cut fuel & spark completely, resulting in an air pump.

Better question- The stock cam profile doesn't worth-while power above 6750- So why rev past that when shifting puts you right in the 4-4.5kRPM torque band?

Last edited:
actually it doesn't cut fuel, that would be extremely bad for the motor. I do believe it cuts the timing ...

ok it does just remove timing, explaination posted by DanG on Neco
he's talking about the rev limiter not the governer. im almost positive the governer pulls fuel and probably kills the ignition as well.

he's talking about the rev limiter not the governer. im almost positive the governer pulls fuel and probably kills the ignition as well.

I would have to say the same would still hold true, I mean if it bad to pull fuel at redline it would be the same for the governer as its not like your going to be at a low rpm, your going to be somewhat close to redline also ...

What do you mean?? One cuts off max speed and one cuts of max rpm :confused:

I mean, how would you cut off max speed without cutting RPMs too? The ECU can't apply the brakes in a non-ABS vehicle, or change gears in a non-ATX, so you're left with cutting engine power.

The only difference between the two I see is the trigger, but not the execution. So, why would the "governor" pull fuel and ignition, and the "rev limiter" pull timing?

Last edited:
I mean, how would you cut off max speed without cutting RPMs too? The ECU can't apply the brakes in a non-ABS vehicle, or change gears in a non-ATX, so you're left with cutting engine power.

The only difference between the two I see is the trigger, but not the execution. So, why would the "governor" pull fuel and ignition, and the "rev limiter" pull timing?

ahh ok. I knew you had to be asking something other than what I smugly replied to.

there is a difference in exactly what happens. the rev limiter does just pull the timing however the governer wants to slow you down. the easiest way to do that without applying the brakes is to pull the fuel and ignition and let the engine be a big air pump and add lots of resistance. Just like AJ said, it bucks HARD when you hit the governer.

If the question is how fast is the Contour V6 capable of going, I'd say between 140 and 150. The SVT has a 140mph speedo IIRC.

Back