• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2 Probs - Heat and Vibration

Does anyone know the location of the resistor in the zetec or have instructions how to remove it??

Cooling fan's low speed resistor

Cooling fan's low speed resistor

Read Posts 12, 17 and 18.
Here's jpeg of the low speed fan resistor located in the bottom left corner fan. My Fluke 12 read .2 ohm at 68 F.
Ni-chrome metal wire coil just like in the heater blower's resistors only bigger.
I believe this is the same material in your toasters.
This one I remove very carefully from the bottom (not easy no) removing the fan shrouds two upper nuts, unhooking the wiring connector from the A/C accumulator removing and removing the accumulators mounting bolt 10mm (where it attaches to the sub-frame) closest to the radiator and loosing the other so accumulator can move back- giving the bottom tab on fan housing a little more clearance and removing the lower radiator mount (don't forget to pin the upper radiator mount first) lifting up the fan housing enough to clear/release the lower clips and then dropping housing as far as possible. There just enough clearance to angle my 1/4 inch drive socket with 8mm deep well socket very carefully pushing the radiator assembly forward and the fan housing rearward. Caution you might want to place cardboard "thin white one side gray the other" to protect radiator fins and your knuckles. I have small hands and fingers although joint pain/old age made take much longer. I used two hydraulic 2 ton floor jacks to raise the the front end under the rear sub-frame mounting bolts. I would imagine it would go much faster with helper and even on a lift oh would I love that!!!!
Oh yeah no beer until the parts out and I forgot about removing the clip the holds the atx cooler lines from the fan housing Hmmmmm I forgot what that clips to darn!!!! Hopefully when I put it back on I'll remember it's was the first thing I removed. ?????

Attachments

• Fanlowspeedresistor2a.JPG
    Fanlowspeedresistor2a.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 0
Back