• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

hid headlight acting up

so, its one headlight not coming on. check out all the connections, blew out dust from sockets, pluged it all back together and worked fine the rest of the way home. the next night, same light out again. this time i had to turn the lights on and off several times and it would come back on for about 30 minutes and then out again. flick the lights off and back on ONCE this time and get about another 30 minutes from it. i know very little about hid's: bad ballast or bulb?

sounds like bad connections, is it direct "plug and play" meaning, do you have a proper wiring harness with the needed relays and fuses to ensure stable power connections to the ballasts?

sounds like bad connections, is it direct "plug and play" meaning, do you have a proper wiring harness with the needed relays and fuses to ensure stable power connections to the ballasts?

it is plug and play. the wire go from the ballast and have in-line fuses befor going into the bulb. i dont know anything about these so i assume its not the bulb or it wouldnt come on at all right?

Mine had this problem. I hooked up everything right to the headlight plugs. That was the mistake. They needed to get their power from the battery directly.

it is plug and play. the wire go from the ballast and have in-line fuses befor going into the bulb. i dont know anything about these so i assume its not the bulb or it wouldnt come on at all right?

It's wrong. I don't know how many times I have to tell people. Just because Li fung from China ballasts manf. says its plug and play doesn't mean its the right way!

Mine had this problem. I hooked up everything right to the headlight plugs. That was the mistake. They needed to get their power from the battery directly.

Yup. Battery, fuse, relay, ballast, bulb. || headlight plug, relay. || relay, ground.

It's wrong. I don't know how many times I have to tell people. Just because Li fung from China ballasts manf. says its plug and play doesn't mean its the right way!

Yup. Battery, fuse, relay, ballast, bulb. || headlight plug, relay. || relay, ground.

ok then i obivously have no idea what im talking about. so what should i do?

i'm going to bet that it is recommend to wire in a relay so the hid's get direct battery power.

I am a hypocrite where as the HID kit i use(d) is plug and play, and i'm too lazy to use relays, but i've used these over a year without problems. :laugh:

Back