• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

yup

:laugh::laugh:

I cant remember if it was Lundgrens or the one in Hibbing that said they have a newer Grand Marquis for cheap...Hmmm maybe ill check that out.. :D

Fasten seat belt. Here come my two cents. :laugh:

If I may -- I just bought my 1988 T-Car for $2300 with 74K orig and no rust. After tires, exhaust (which included the removal of two of the four cats), and some brake work, I'm into the car about $3600. A little more than I planned on, but as I reflect on it, it's a lot of car for that amount of money. Not bad to have a sorted out luxury vehicle for that sum.

Why don't you do something similar, whether it be a GMQ or a Crown Vic or a T-Car? Seems to me it sure beats the hell out of paying ten grand or so for something newer that isn't necessarily better. Besides, you really like those old boats.

Fasten seat belt. Here come my two cents. :laugh:

If I may -- I just bought my 1988 T-Car for $2300 with 74K orig and no rust. After tires, exhaust (which included the removal of two of the four cats), and some brake work, I'm into the car about $3600. A little more than I planned on, but as I reflect on it, it's a lot of car for that amount of money. Not bad to have a sorted out luxury vehicle for that sum.

Why don't you do something similar, whether it be a GMQ or a Crown Vic or a T-Car? Seems to me it sure beats the hell out of paying ten grand or so for something newer that isn't necessarily better. Besides, you really like those old boats.

I would say buy Baggeds turboed tour.

And I'd say drive your mystique til the wheels fall off (literally, just don't let it happen on the highway).
Trust me...Its pretty much at that point..

Well I did kind of decide to look at something else. Its a 2001 Lariat SuperCrew F-150. its in amazing shape for the years and miles(115k) and I would only buy a Lariat. My uncle is going to check it out tonight for me and then I will decide.

Laura, I would buy another panther but I need something that I KNOW will get around in the winter here, and I honestly dont want to be fixing another panther. The last one was a major arse pain.:nonono:

...Well I did kind of decide to look at something else. Its a 2001 Lariat SuperCrew F-150. its in amazing shape for the years and miles(115k) and I would only buy a Lariat. My uncle is going to check it out tonight for me and then I will decide.

Laura, I would buy another panther but I need something that I KNOW will get around in the winter here, and I honestly dont want to be fixing another panther. The last one was a major arse pain.:nonono:

Unusual for a Panther to be anything but stellar. I bet with a set of Dunlop Graspic DS2s or Blizzak Revos or whatever the thing would be stout in the snow. Guy near here was recently (may still be -- not sure) selling a 1986 Ford Crown Victoria, black with red interior that just needed a fuel pump. He was asking $1,000. Apparently, the car was in great shape with almost no rust. I was thinking about checking it out, but went the T-Car route instead.

Since I do not live in the Great White North, I went with all season tires. I just ponied up and bought four Yokohama Aegis LS4s. They're a great all season tire (we've had them on the girl's Cougar for a while now) and are very predicatable in dry weather as well as snow and rain. I like the grip combined with the versatility. Plus, it comes in a whitewall, which you absolutely have to have on a T-Car.

Have you considered Rangers, Broncos, or Bronco IIs? Just more stuff to add to your lexicon as you work to find the car that suits you. So many exciting choices. I love car shopping. :cool:

http://www.jmautosalesinc.com/jm_auto_sales_inventory.php

The white Subie... Its got more miles than I want but im workable. I will probably check it out tomorrow. Looks pretty clean and the price is not bad...hmmmm....

And yes Laura I have thought about all those things. I need something with four doors though.

Edit: My friend just bought that Infinity he had. Its a pretty sick clean car. Runs good too.

what is wrong with the mystique? want me to take a look at it? buy a MK3 golf. mine rocks! i took it up the shore last weekend and got nearly 36 mpg! had it in the twin cities a couple weekedns ago, and hauled a nearly 200 lb 5.5 foot long dresser back from Ikea. the thing is awesome! super easy and simple to wokr on (when i lowered the back, i took the suspension about like 3-4 times and replaced the lower control arm bushings in the front in an eveining, 2 days before my wedding!)

but really, whats wrong with the mystique? are you just tired of it or is there something actually wrong with it? remember, when looking at trucks and SUV's, gas is only going to get higher, and i can haul nearly as much stuff in my Golf as an Escape.

The white Subie... Its got more miles than I want but im workable. I will probably check it out tomorrow. Looks pretty clean and the price is not bad...hmmmm....

And yes Laura I have thought about all those things. I need something with four doors though.

Edit: My friend just bought that Infinity he had. Its a pretty sick clean car. Runs good too.

the outback? ti looks just like my moms. hers has 142.xxx miles on it. good car, but i know the head gaskets are a week point on the 2.5. plus, she only gets around 20 TOPS in town and like 25 on the hwy. its a heavy car, and the manuals are a whole nother driving experience (much more entertaining)

I really like them as a dealership. He gets the right type of cars (for me at least LOL) and will bend over backwards to make you happy. We paid like $6250 for the Subaru that we bought from there...and that was the GT version (so it was a better model....LSD FTW!). I know that he is very willing to work on a price as well....so you should be able to get that Subie for at least $1000 less than what he is asking. But, like mentioned before, gas milage is not the greatest.

Does that Subaru come with an apron? :laugh:

How about that Aurora he's got? Talk him down a bit, and you might have something. Front wheel drive for the snow. Loaded to the gunwales -- a nice sports luxury car. Also, it got its very own version of the Northstar, a 4.0 liter V8 just for Oldsmobile.

Does that Subaru come with an apron? :laugh:

How about that Aurora he's got? Talk him down a bit, and you might have something. Front wheel drive for the snow. Loaded to the gunwales -- a nice sports luxury car. Also, it got its very own version of the Northstar, a 4.0 liter V8 just for Oldsmobile.

No longer there. He doesn't get to update the main page a lot....so he normally lists things on cars.com I wanted the wife to look at that car :(

If I buy a VW its gotta be at least a diesel or 1.8T. I hate two point slows. I dont know what to think anymore. I kinda am thinkin about gettin an SVT, even though I swore id never buy another one of these cars.. lol

Edit: Oh and to answer your question Joel, theres nothing MAJORLY wrong with the Mysti... Yet... The throwout bearing is on its wasy out the door.. This is the list of new things it would need soon:

Throwout bearing
Headlights (AGAIN!!!)
Winter tires
Springs and Struts in rear
needs new inner drivers door panel
rockers would need repainting cause theres a huge chunk of paint missing under the drivers side

There is other stuff I just cant remember it all. Im just kinda sick of dealing with it. Car also needs throttle hang fix. I never did understand why a car thats only eight years old with 100k on it should have a throttle hang problem.

Back