• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Who is using Spec stage 3 clutch

yamaha racer 686

Hard-core CEG'er
what the title says. Who is using the Spce stage 3. Id like to know how hard it is it to drive with.

being stopped on a hill can u slip it just enough to get going with out stalling or spinning the tires?

drop a pn to qbsvt as he had one. not sure of the miles on it but it was about worn out when we did his 3L swap. the friction surface was almost down to the rivets in it.

if you are getting a stage 3 to hold high power just get a 3+, drive more like stock from what everyone says

what the title says. Who is using the Spce stage 3. Id like to know how hard it is it to drive with.

being stopped on a hill can u slip it just enough to get going with out stalling or spinning the tires?
i dont have a problem with driving my zetec with a Spec stage 3 clutch. in fact its actually lighter/softer than the clutch in my SVT :shrug:

I would go with 3+ man .. don't waste your time with 3. 3 is hard in the beginning you will get use to it, but still sucks. I tried it with two different cars, didn't like it at all. Stage 3 is meant for drag only, everyday use not a good idea. Go with 3+

- MO

I had the Clutch on for maybe 4-6k Miles on it and when Brapple and everybody saw that they were like you should get a new clutch dude! I was like DAMNIT:mad: ! Well regardless, The clutch is sweet when u wanna launch that clutch grabs and does wonders! But when u wanna drive like a normal human being you really have no way of manipulatiing the clutch! When you try to slowly let out of the clutch it makes this horrible noise and kinda feels like everything wants to jump out of its place!

I not have a 3L with a stock SVT clutch in it cause I couldnt afford the good stuff! But when I do my tranny replacement I am going to go with a 3+ KIT!

Simple reason is the Full Disk compared to the 6 Puck Disc will give you much better drivability! Or so i have heard!

I personally didnt mind the drivability with it! But with all the problems it has come to give me I wouldnt make a purchase for it again!

Hope this helps and if any of my information seems to be wrong, inform me!

- amyn

I have had almost every spec clutch across the board in my SVT's, except the stage 2+. I currently have a stage 3, and it isn't too bad; but after coming from my stage 3+ all I can say is go with 3+++++. Much much better. It is supposed to have better wear characteristics as well meaning that it should last longer than a stage 3.

I have it and I hate it.

I didn't specify that I want a stage 3 clutch. It was a package that Fastcougar made and it's brand new. During normal start, no matter how careful I am, it still makes an embarrassing sound like metal grinding. I had to explain that to my passengers many times in the past when they had question marks in their eyes. When the car is moving it is not bad, only for the starts.

I haven't tried 3+, but coming from OEM SVT clutch (mine was about 10,000 miles when I switched) and OEM WRX clutch, the Stage 3 is really not that pleasant.

as they've all said. just go ahead n get a 3+. i've never owned a 3, but i hear its ruff. i have the 3+. very easy to use. the only problem i have with it is when its disengaged, it makes this chattering sound like the motor's knocking or sumthn. however, when depressed, the sound goes away. other than that, 3+ FTW! i think thats the first time i've used that acronym :)

I have the stage 3.. it holds damn near anything you want it to. 400+whp and 380FWTq daily wouldn't make it THINK of slipping.

It isn't hard to use.. the FIRST time I drove a SVTC with a stage 3 it was easy.. Now, that isn't to say that it DOESN'T pop up now and then with some "pestering" towards you. a steep enough hill, etc, can occasionally make it spin a little because it grabbed more than you wanted.

the noise that it makes (metal howling, etc) is NOT the stage 3.. it is ANY high strength clutch like that. the 3+ can do it just as easily.

the chattering when the clutch isn't being used is not the 3+ only, either. .it is, again, the same situation.

In the end? If you are looking at "more" power and want something driveable.. get a 3+.. if you are looking at either "the most power" or upgrading to anything more than "more" power then stick with a 3. I can daily drive it, and do, anywhere.

Those that don't "like" to daily drive it are one thing, but saying that it isn't useful, easy, or possible to drive normally are either wrong, jumping on a bandwagon, or just discouraged with their own PERSONAL experience with their stage 3.

In the end? If you are looking at "more" power and want something driveable.. get a 3+.. if you are looking at either "the most power" or upgrading to anything more than "more" power then stick with a 3. I can daily drive it, and do, anywhere.

You're getting old Ray. The stage 3+ can hold more power. :cool: You are darn right about the stage 3+ having better driveablity though! Basically, I wouldn't go with another stage 3 unless you are really on a budget build (saves you $125 or something :shrug:) or unless you plan on living at the track where the purpose of the 6 puck disc for cooling and such really shines through. Stage 3+ all the way, and I'm not jumping on any bandwagon here; just personal experience. :)

You love that "old" thing, don't you! lol

I knew you had personal experience. And I never said the Stage 3 HOLDS more power.. I said if your goal was "the most power" then I would recommend a 3 vice a 3+. While the 3+ is rated at a higher threshold than the 3, those who are shooting for goals that exceed "more power but driveable" are probably shooting for goals of max speed, max power, or drags. Why ELSE would you need MORE than 500+whp? You have that much, and you obviously want it to use it, at which point "drivability" concerns have long since been eclipsed by the desires for attaining your goals. In that case.. a 3, with its 6 puck design would stay cooler (as you noted) grip quicker, and provide the extra strength needed if you were in a drag/power situation/competition.

Again, as you were, I'm just speaking from experience. :D :D

Really, to break it down to the "average" user.. If you are in the realm of NEEDING a 3 OR a 3+, you're likely to have ALREADY done your homework and already know what you want or will benefit the most from. In the case of the OP, I would think a 3+ would be the best fit for his desires; after all that is what its all about.. matching your desires with your goals and then finding the optimum setup (equipment, costs, ease of use) to match or closely approach those desires/goals.

There is a time and place for both the 3 and the 3+. Neither can be excluded in a lump sum, such as was being started in this post, which is the only reason I bothered to jump in with my side of the situation.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled questions...

. The reason i asked was becuase i was looking at a car with the stage 3 and wanted to know that it wouldnt be a HUGE concern getting to and from shows autocross and drags.

wow thanks for the info ray u always amaze me with your knowledge. Also thanks to Reebs and the others for answering

Last edited:

wow thanks for the info ray u always amaze me with your knowledge.

ray is full of poop. :help: that is what I think about that :p

In that case.. a 3, with its 6 puck design would stay cooler (as you noted) grip quicker, and provide the extra strength needed if you were in a drag/power situation/competition.

I only agree with it staying cooler.... The full faced disc of the stage 3+ mated with the stage 5 pp (I believe that is the pp used in the 3+) makes for grabbing better and quicker than a 3. I disagree with the stage 3 having the "extra strength needed..." The 3 is ONLY better for a straight up drag contour for the cooling purposes (6 puck), but who builds a contour just to drag it? Stage 3+ all the way. It grabs harder but engages better and lasts longer... only downside is the price but if you get any extra life out of it then it is 100% worth it in my opinion; but that is exactly what this is... my opinion. :cool:

You love that "old" thing, don't you! lol

Yessir.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled questions... :laugh:

Last edited:
i have a stage 3. after demonsvt talked me into it. i was going to get a 3+ but he insisted that a stage3 will cool better. it chatters when its not engaged, it whines when i let it out going in reverse, but in every other gear, its just sweet!. drivability isnt an issue for me. it doesnt chatter. the only reason i went with it was because i had nitrous and the six puck can stay cooler and it is less likely to slip from the hit of nitrous. now that i have no nitrous, i would probably go 3+ for the "drivability".

I drove RAYs car for a few minutes. The stage 3 seemed ferely easy to shift. And it held to every bit of hp he has. But I think he had the turbo tuned down a bit.

. The reason i asked was becuase i was looking at a car with the stage 3 and wanted to know that it wouldnt be a HUGE concern getting to and from shows autocross and drags.

wow thanks for the info ray u always amaze me with your knowledge. Also thanks to Reebs and the others for answering

I daily my stage 3 in my 3 liter. :shrug:

Back