• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

K&N filters

D.Acker

Owner/LUCA’s *****
Admin
Question... How many people here use K&N air filters in their Contiques, or other cars for that matter and has anyone noticed any difference in the following area (some of these are from K&N's site, some I've heard from others who have used K&N products)

1. Better gas mileage
2. Deeper exhaust note
3. More power

Anything else anyone as noticed performance wise?

Mods - please move if this isn't in the correct place.

Moved to Duratec Performance.

I have a K&N filter, there is a difference in engine noise because there is no noise surpression with a CIA and K&N filter (assuming you're buying a CIA and a filter).

Performance wise, not too much of a gain especially since you have an SVT, i'm sure someone that has done tuning maybe be able to give you true esimates of stock SVT intake version aftermarket setup.

Moved to Duratec Performance.

I have a K&N filter, there is a difference in engine noise because there is no noise surpression with a CIA and K&N filter (assuming you're buying a CIA and a filter).

Performance wise, not too much of a gain especially since you have an SVT, i'm sure someone that has done tuning maybe be able to give you true esimates of stock SVT intake version aftermarket setup.

CIA??? I know I'm gonna feel even dumber when someone tells me what that is......

Just to clairfy CAI = Cold Air Intake, and no I wasn't planning on adding one, do I need to? Or can I just do the stand alone filter. I know I seem a little slow with this stuff, I've just never done this before and can't seem to find great answers to the questions I have. Thank God for CEG!!!!!

I'm using a K&N with the MAF adapter, definatly noticed a much better sound from intake, you can really hear the induction of the engine, not much difference in exhaust. HP gains, none that I noticed with butt dyno. MPG increase, can't tell since I can't keep my foot off it.:laugh:

Better throttle response, the car likes to rev alot more at top rpms with a cai.

If you combine this with headers, downpipe etc. You will def feel more since you are opeing both ends of the engine.

if you have a svt you really wont gain anything from switching to a open filter,which is wrongly being called a cai in this thread:nonono: and if you have a svt intake w/a k&n filter,i'd go out on the limb and say you'll lose power,esp on a hot day

we need someone to do a test on the stock svt induction system with just a k&n drop in and see what gains are netted, also you would still be keeping your snorkel in the fender

and if you have a svt intake w/a k&n filter,i'd go out on the limb and say you'll lose power,esp on a hot day

why is that? Just wondering because my SVT has a K&N filter, came with it when I bought it. It's the stock air box just with a K&N drop in filter.

It was so dirty I didn't realize it was a K&N until I wiped the top off. So I bought the recharge kit, or whatever its called with the cleaner and oil, and cleaned it all up and re-oiled it. It looks new now.

because the svt intake has a bigger surface area than the non svt intakes,and it takes in cold air. a open filter,while you might be able to increase the surface area,will be taking in much hotter air,hot air means the ecu retards timing,retarted timing means you lose power.

ah, on an open filter... so since you are referring to an open filter situation then you aren't referring to a stock SVT intake with just a K&N drop-in because that wouldn't be an open filter right? Am I understanding you correctly?

Yes, K&N filter inside stock SVT filter box should take in cool air just like stock filter. There is some argument though on whether or not a drop in K&N or even the open one, is better than the OEM SVT filter as far as flow and filtering capabilities. It's been argued here before.
Karl

yeah, my car had it when I bought it so I just cleaned it up and will be putting it back in when I'm done with the head gaskets/etc.

because the svt intake has a bigger surface area than the non svt intakes,and it takes in cold air. a open filter,while you might be able to increase the surface area,will be taking in much hotter air,hot air means the ecu retards timing,retarted timing means you lose power.

This argument has been covered thousands of times.
AEM shown a 6 hp gain from there open air intake system.
cta motorsports have shown a 4whp gain from just a open air intake system. The facts have been proven with great results over the stock air intake system.

I own 3 setups of an intake system.
Since your still new, you have to understand we never had a true cold air intake system till 4 years ago. So we refer to the open air intake as our CAI system. Since the cougar tube has been added for our application (4 years ago) people were reluctant to purchase and install it because of cutting a hole inside the engine bay to insert the tube. Now the nautilus kit just came out 1-2 months ago. And of course i bought it also. So i Will have great feedback on my results. For all 3 systems. And 3 types of mass air meters as options.

The open intake system nets more power than the closed air intake system with drop in K&N. Its a no brainier. If you lose power because of heat, get an extension tube. Which i doubt it will.

People have been using this open element system for 5 years before the other intakes were sold. People still highly recommend this system for performance gains. To say it does nothing over just having a drop in K&N. You better have some good hard facts to counter cegs famous intake recommendation. Or i guess all these years everybody has been wrong for doing this and our results are all goo happy gain feelings that we make up:laugh:

um,i'm far from new. i've been here since early 02:shrug: and before the gmk intake there was the shoshop intake,which i had at one point. the problem w/dyno'ing a open filter compared to the stock intake is that the car is standing still,so the intake isnt taking in the colder air that it would if the car was moving. also the hood is open,so the open filter is taking in cooler air. imho to do the test right the hood should be closed so the fan they place in front of the car isnt reaching the open filter. again,in my opinion. i've had many intakes,ebay wai,cc cai,shoshop cai,stock w/kn,stock svt w/kn.
imho,the stock svt intake w/a better flowing filter is better than any ebay open element intake.
while the npg or cc/gmk intake is the best bet altogether.

Back