• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Another "should I sell the tour"

Well I am considering selling the tour. It has been a lot of work. I have done all the basics to it.....and then altenator, brakes, wp and such...no big deal.
Then I replaced the clutch with the O ring slave cly. I put a couple hundred miles on it and pow there goes the slave. So I am thinking mechanic error on my part. When I get the new slave I put it in with the O ring and make sure everything is torqued to spec again. Well this time I drive it about 3k miles before I will even let the family go with me anywhere. Well I finally decide the car is good enough for them to go and we go visit grandparents. Well halfway there at a red light the car dies. I look underneath and sure enough there is hydraulic fluid pouring out of the bell housing. I have to get the car towed from lincoln park back to warren. Well I was pissed off and found a good deal on a 99 ford van. I bought it. Replaced some fluid and has been great so far.

So I got the new slave in with the gasket sealer per Terry's' post in FCO and seem like I got pressure. Well now the car won't start. Won't even turn. I tried to push start for ****s and giggle and nothing. Now I am decently geed mechanic but I am getting sick of this car. I paid a little more than I should have and I am not sure if I want to take as big of a loss as I will if I sell it.
I could tow the car up to the shop and have them fix it but there is more money out the window on this car.

So what do you guys think? FYI the wife hates the contour.

Like I say to everyone that posts these threads: Just do it, and do it quick like a bandaid. Get it over with.

sell, sell, sell!

Like I say to everyone that posts these threads: Just do it, and do it quick like a bandaid. Get it over with.

sell, sell, sell!
...or fix, fix, fix. But just do it. Sitting in the driveway will make your wife hate it more. :shrug:

Not enough data for the prices/value to be accurate. Since these cars were limited production it makes it difficult.

Bottom line for value, its all about the market, supply and demand controls the cost and eventually the value.

:mad: If you look at kbb or anywhere else the value is 4-6....get on here and these guys won't buy on for over 2-3k.

...and that's if it's in running condition. Either sell as is or have a mechanic do the work...if you do the work again, I don't think the offers would be much higher here. Not trying to be a smartass, just a fact.

:mad: I would make it a track car first.
Sometime I think CEG is partly responsible for the declining value of these cars. If you look at kbb or anywhere else the value is 4-6....get on here and these guys won't buy on for over 2-3k.

Man the rock done funked yo **** up! To inherit someone else's problems no way should anyone spend more than that for a broken car! Who knows what one will find all hacked up. Not to mention the work involved to pull the powertrain and replace necessary parts. That's how cars work Honcho. Not just for Contours. Any broken car!!!!!!

To inherit someone else's problems no way should anyone spend more than that for a broken car!

every car has its problems, unless you are buying new you never know what has happened to the car. If what you said was true you could walk off with a Z06 for dirt cheap.

Not to mention the work involved to pull the powertrain and replace necessary parts

Your right....I am sure that starter or maybe the relay switch is gonna take tons of time. Reading owns you I said "I already replaced the slave and now the car just won't start."
I have not gotten motivated enough to fix it yet....

I guess I will just fix it and make it an autocross car. Or I will just fix it and let it sit in the garage and after all the 16 year old kids wreck them all because it was their first car I will be one of the last ones with an original svt contour.
:blackeye:

If it's soooo easy fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or quit crying and STFU!

Last edited:
two thoughts

two thoughts

you did buy a used car and you need to be more thourough when doin work on these cars. they do not tolerate hack work unlike an f150. these cars need precision and patients. have both and the car will run great. i had some work done on my 99svtc and it was hacked hence the new trans. and my wife still wants to burn the car even though the car did nothing wrong. people form an opinion to quickly for it to be an accurate fact that the car is a pos. maybe yours was a 16 year olds learner and its all beat to shiet. and the slave problem was all on you!

you did buy a used car and you need to be more thourough when doin work on these cars. they do not tolerate hack work unlike an f150. these cars need precision and patients. have both and the car will run great. i had some work done on my 99svtc and it was hacked hence the new trans. and my wife still wants to burn the car even though the car did nothing wrong. people form an opinion to quickly for it to be an accurate fact that the car is a pos. maybe yours was a 16 year olds learner and its all beat to shiet. and the slave problem was all on you!

The problem was not with my mechanical knowledge or lack of attention to detail.

" Originally Posted by todras
Yes, it goes around the input shaft. LOL 3 bolts tq'd to 7 ft. lbs. with anearobic gasket maker behind it. Should not have an o ring on it."

It was a common problem to have blow outs when using an o-ring from what I hear. I got in the correct way now that I found out ford changed the processto using the gasket maker. So please do not insult my intelligence or mechanical aptitude.
I may not know everything about these cars but I do have some mechanical sense and I am very careful about my work.

Do you enjoy driving the car? The types of issues you've described aren't extraordinary and could happen to any car you may buy therefore shouldn't influence your decision unless you're going to buy new or lease. If the car suits your needs and you enjoy driving it, I would keep it. Keep in mind that SVT's may cost about 10% more to run when you consider fuel, insurance and premium parts in some cases. Also consider the faster/harder one drives, the more damage a car takes, therefore a slower car is also inherently a more reliable car.

Any used car may be a ticking time bomb. It's better to keep cars that you've worked kinks out of. That you've put new parts on the car means that it would be inefficient to sell the car without getting use out of those repairs.

Why does your wife hate the Contour?

I'm the opposite of most people. When I put money into my cars, I consider to myself that I'm going to have to drive it for longer to get value from the repair/maintenance item.

Back