• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I broke this......UIM hose Help!

qbcsvt

Hard-core CEG'er
BROKEN.jpg

The larger hose that comes out the Mid right of the Upper Intake Manifold.

I was taking it off and it snapped!!! I obviously was doing it the wrong way....

I still didnt get a CEL... and i have 3 questions???

1. What is it called so I can get it replaced??

2. How do I remove it properly for future reference (I was pulling on it straight out)???

3. Can I use the car without it in place till I get a replacement?

Thanks everyone!

- amyn

Can't see the pic but I assume your talking about the vacuum lines off the UIM?

I would not run the car with out either vacuum hose that comes out of the UIM. one is for the power brakes and one provides vacuum for the fuel regulator, hvac, evap etc.

to properly remove You need to use a screw driver to press down on the collar that the lines press into and then pull the line out.

The proper removal procedure is actually documented and photographed in the how-to sections of the UIM/LIM removal (Duratec Maintenance forum, read-first.. how about that?)

as i suggested on the phone rtv or some other sealer can be used as a temporary solution so that the car will idle correctly

Thanks! Im gonna go grab one from a jy soon Probably today!!!

I think the rtv will do the job for going 60 miles for the day. I got school!!!!

- amyn

not to hijack or anything but since we are on the topic of these hoses...

When I started my head gaskets and was removing the same hose (I believe it's the one that runs to the brake booster) I noticed the plastic bushing that stays in the UIM and you slide the hose into has a small chipped part of plastic missing. Not from the inside portion but just from the flanged portion that sits on top/outside the UIM. If that doesn't make sense I can take a picture tonight and post it. It doesn't appear like it would cause a problem.

Is this going to cause any problem? Should I replace it? Can you buy those separately from Ford?

It makes perfect sense to me. As long as the inner edge of that bushing is still smooth (so as to create a tight compression fitting with the vacuum booster tube) then you will be okay. This is assuming that there isn't enough missing that the entire bushing could be pushed IN to the UIM. (that is what that lip is for...)

As for the OP, repairing the broken hose can also be done with a piece of rubber hose that has an INNER diameter which is the same or slightly smaller than the OUTER diameter of the booster tube. slide the hose over either end of the break forming a "bridge" with the rubber hose. if you like, add a couple of hose clamps on the ends.

It makes perfect sense to me. As long as the inner edge of that bushing is still smooth (so as to create a tight compression fitting with the vacuum booster tube) then you will be okay. This is assuming that there isn't enough missing that the entire bushing could be pushed IN to the UIM. (that is what that lip is for...)

thats what I figured.

The chip on the lip is about a 1/4 of it or less IIRC but I'm pretty sure the inside isn't affected. I'll try and get a nice close picture tonight and post it for your opinion.

Thanks

yeah i know exactly which hose he's talking about. that's the main vacuum hose for the brakes. we broke it this weekend because we tried the "pull it straight out method". you gotta be really gentle and push the little o-ring into the UIM. and pulling it from the brake booster is just a really slow pull. good thing i had a parts car and took it off of it.

Also, not sure as to the exact name, but find one at a junkyard, cause those things are crazy expensive from a dealer.

Ok here is the part info.

F5RZ-2420-AE List $26.00 Inet $19.36 (crazy expensive ?)

Also, to release the tube, you press down on the black plastic collar and remove the line from the fitting.

If the fitting also is broken, then you need:

F5RZ-2A411-A List $11.98 Inet $8.92

I broke this a little over a year ago being stupid(I was running seafoam in the cswar)I went to the dealer and bought one.Like Bill said 20 bucks isn't expensive,save yourself some time and buy a replacement from Bill.Also I used some epoxy as a temporary fix.

Ok here is the part info.

F5RZ-2420-AE List $26.00 Inet $19.36 (crazy expensive ?)

Also, to release the tube, you press down on the black plastic collar and remove the line from the fitting.

If the fitting also is broken, then you need:

F5RZ-2A411-A List $11.98 Inet $8.92

someone said awhile ago that they were really expensive, i never had to look into it. so oops.

IIRC, it was the whole set of vacuum hoses which was expensive, not just that one vacuum booster hose.

I got it replaced. Thanks guys!!! Wasnt hard at all! You live you learn! Thanks once again CEG another happy ending....Whos going to volunteer?:shrug:

- amyn

Well, after looking at it yesterday it looks like I was wrong. I do have a small crack inside the sleeve.

Can be seen in this picture...

Thanks Bill J. for the part number.

I know that I'm bringing this thread back to life, but I have a question about these vacuum connections that you guys may be able to help me on.

How exactly does this seal? Is there supposed to be a rubber O-Ring on the inside? I honestly don't see how this forms a good seal... hard plastic to hard plastic to aluminum. Maybe it's me... but is this right? I know that's how the car came, but am I missing a part?

I was doing some work on the car and noticed that the two tubes (brake booster and main vacuum tube that gets split behind the intake manifold) are kind of loose in those sleeves. I held the little sleeve down and was able to slide both tubes out with ease and nothing looks broken at all, but it just doesn't seem to me like it's sealing well anymore after 142k miles.

Can someone help here? This is the ONLY place on my car that a possible vacuum leak could be, I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything and/or should replace these parts from the dealership. Thank you!

There is one plastic clip ring and one o-ring in each of those vaccum hose holes. I would recommend taking off the TB when you try to get that o-ring out because you will have to poke at it and it will most likely fall apart and into the UIM....

easy to do, FYI

Back