• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What are better cams?

I think its been said many times..3L cams belong w/3L uim..same for the svt cam's.
I don't care what's been said.
No dyno back-to-back tests from what I've read.
I know engines and cams with the same lift but more duration and overlap (which if what I remember reading is what the SVT cams have compared to 3L cams) will make push peak tq and hp higher in the rpm range and produce more at higher rpms.
It depends on the engine and rpm range we're talking about, and the 3L cams may in fact make more average power, but what I stated should be proved on a dyno.
Also, look at the application for the cams---Ford engineers will tune for most average power for the intended application. SVT has a higher rev/MTX vs. lower rpm/auto. Think about it, my opinion:shrug: .
-J

the manifold you use should be taken into cosideration too...whats the point of putting a high rev manifold(ie,svt) on a engine that has cams intended for use in the mid range(3L) not to mention the whole split port imrc debate. i agree they should be dyno'd....but think about,its basically impossilbe to do a back to back on something like cam's in this engine.

Apparently it needs to be repeated a bunch. Though I HAVE read other people say that. I guess maybe it's just a conspiracy by Ford to throw people off by listing incorrect specs. Or perhaps they are trying to confuse people like myself, whom they PAY to FIX their cars/trucks. I guess maybe the engineers got together & wanted to play a little game of "see if anyone catches this". LOL... all kidding aside, Ford has a system where techs can submit problems they've found with listed specs and procedures so I think I'll try to put this out there & see Ford's stance on it. There has to be a more intelligent explanation than "the manual is way off".

thats a good idea. would like to know what ford thinks about it. hey sicse. call me a dumb follower, but i've come to find out that the guys n gals u see that have been members on this board for aeons ( ma bad rara :) ), have owned, fixed, modded, and luvd these cars. if more than one of them say sumthn is off, theres a huge possiblility thats the case. they know these cars better than ford techs. besides, how many csvts do ford techs at the dealership run into anyways?

thats a good idea. would like to know what ford thinks about it. hey sicse. call me a dumb follower, but i've come to find out that the guys n gals u see that have been members on this board for aeons ( ma bad rara :) ), have owned, fixed, modded, and luvd these cars. if more than one of them say sumthn is off, theres a huge possiblility thats the case. they know these cars better than ford techs. besides, how many csvts do ford techs at the dealership run into anyways?

not nesc. true. for years it was believed that the 99-00 svt uim was daul honed...any time this belief was questioned the questioner was run out of town...thats just one example of members on this board jumping on someone's bandwagon and never second guessing.

not nesc. true. for years it was believed that the 99-00 svt uim was daul honed...any time this belief was questioned the questioner was run out of town...thats just one example of members on this board jumping on someone's bandwagon and never second guessing.

true. like i said, call me a dumb follower :). but thats why we have ppl like u to doublecheck. besides, if u noticed my post, i didnt say they were right every single time. the odds r always in their favor.

Hmm, so now when I do a search on these boards I will have to sort through various conflicting information and figure out for myself what is true. Not so simple.

Let me get this straight - the late model UIMs are NOT dual-honed. Does it then follow that all SVT UIMs flow the same volume and there is no reason for the late model UIMs to command a higher price?

What about the SVT LIMs? I have read on here that the late-model units have larger diameter bores. Is this true or no?

thanks,
Confused in Seattle :confused: :help: :shrug: :crazy:

correct. for years many "high standing" members swore up and down that the uim's for the 99-00 and more so the 00's were daul honed,thus the price increase and different part number. about four years ago svtjeff provided info that would change the long standing myth of the dh svt uim. well,svtjeff along w/ rick from extrude hone. i just reread through the whole thread yesterday,its humorus...at best,but sad mainly. new guy comes in offers info and pdf's on the manifold...old school big nut swinging members come in and totally flame him...he provides info and its silence for a bit...than everyone comes back in flaming him for his attitude and lack or tact:nonono: sorry,getting carried away.LOL.

yes the 99+svt and the returnless cougars all have the larger lim,basically same specs as the 3L split port lim.

there are other contradicting "facts" on the board..such as the svt ecu providing no gains....another ceg no brainer fact..proved wrong:laugh:

To be more precise, it was Ford that said they were more aggressively honed, which was most likely interpreted as going through a second time. They did change their extrude material which was supposed to be better (more aggressive). They also changed it again (to be even more aggressive), several years ago... right before the first "max hone" group buy here.

The "Read First" sticky under Duratec Performance does support non-dual-honed (now). The concept of a more aggressive compound makes sense and would explain the different part numbers. And I can see how this could be mis-interpreted as dual-honing. Short of a flow-bench test there would be no way to say for sure, but it seems that there is a good chance that the later UIMs do flow slightly better.

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but this does all relate to the cam profile.

so whats cams would be better in a 3L if someone went with the new superhcharger kit that is being built?

your best bet is to read up on the corky bell books
for boost keeping overlap down is a goodthing

correct. for years many "high standing" members swore up and down that the uim's for the 99-00 and more so the 00's were daul honed,thus the price increase and different part number. about four years ago svtjeff provided info that would change the long standing myth of the dh svt uim. well,svtjeff along w/ rick from extrude hone. i just reread through the whole thread yesterday,its humorus...at best,but sad mainly. new guy comes in offers info and pdf's on the manifold...old school big nut swinging members come in and totally flame him...he provides info and its silence for a bit...than everyone comes back in flaming him for his attitude and lack or tact
Man, I just went and read that for the first time. Don't know how I totally missed that thread back then.....

Man, I just went and read that for the first time. Don't know how I totally missed that thread back then.....

Same here . . . I wish I had seen it back then, I could have cleared the whole thing up rather simply. svtjeff was right, plain and simple, though he was really stupid for posting portions of the prints, that could have cost him his job.

About the lift of the verious cams we had a discussion about this earlier. People measured the cams they had and submitted the measurements.

SVT cams had higher lift. I do not know about 04 cams though.

Here is the link: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=19420

The SVT cams and the 04+ cams have the same lift I have measured them myself, though duration and overlap are still different.

The SVT cams and the 04+ cams have the same lift I have measured them myself, though duration and overlap are still different.
And thus the SVT cams will make more hp/tq.
I'm not saying how much, over what rpm ranges, or if they'll make as much avg. power, but I am confident they'll make the most and pull the highest.
-J

And thus the SVT cams will make more hp/tq.
I'm not saying how much, over what rpm ranges, or if they'll make as much avg. power, but I am confident they'll make the most and pull the highest.
-J

I'm not arguing that the SVT cams will make more power and torque (though specifically at higher rpm). That is exactly why my car has SVT cams in it.
I was making it clear that the 04 cams are higher lift than the previous 3L or SE cams.

I'm not arguing that the SVT cams will make more power and torque (though specifically at higher rpm). That is exactly why my car has SVT cams in it.
I was making it clear that the 04 cams are higher lift than the previous 3L or SE cams.
I didn't think you were arguing that (or at all).
I was just making a general statement as I've heard many think the 3L cams will make the same power and then this statement alot:
I think its been said many times..3L cams belong w/3L uim..same for the svt cam's.
-J

Back