• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

fiberglass dash

yeah, its a dd thats a work in progress, im getting a new front end in the morning, the rear end isnt as bad now, i pulled it out and put a new trunk on and now all i have to do is smooth out the 1/4 pnls and it'll lok as close to perfect as it's gonna get with me being the owner

how hard is glass work as a beginner?

I've been researching it for a while and wanna glass my cupholder area so I can make better cup holders and integrate my garmin nuvi in the middle. I know how to do it, but will it look like crap first time around as a novice?

Then later down the road maybe kick panels and the rest of the center console.

how hard is glass work as a beginner?

I've been researching it for a while and wanna glass my cupholder area so I can make better cup holders and integrate my garmin nuvi in the middle. I know how to do it, but will it look like crap first time around as a novice?

Then later down the road maybe kick panels and the rest of the center console.

Make two! I need to do something with my tomtom one. I think I'm just gonna fill a mini pringles can with quarters, stick that in the cupholder, then mount on that. That or I might mount it in the sunvisor :shrug:

Make two! I need to do something with my tomtom one. I think I'm just gonna fill a mini pringles can with quarters, stick that in the cupholder, then mount on that. That or I might mount it in the sunvisor :shrug:

id have to see the navigation peice but i could make something cool for it:cool:

id have to see the navigation peice but i could make something cool for it:cool:

I've been thinking of relocating the hvac and making something cool using a spare cdrom drive :cool: unfortunately, I ONLY think about it, tough to find the time to get it into action.

Orrrr putting the cdrom drive vertically where the coin slot is...then I was just need a way to have it fold to the right, over the vents...

Last edited:
I'll probably buy some cup holders from pepboys or something and mold the glass around wooden pod so I can just plop them in.

Thinking about buying a router and a dremel. Can both be had for around $50 each?

It'll be something to do over spring break when it finally warms up :rolleyes:

Does spandex work well or is there a better cloth to stretch?

My guess is that spandex would not be as good as another stretchy fabric that is more absorbent. You want your base layer to fit the contours nicely as well as absorb enough resin to form a hard shell which should be reinforced with fiberglass and resin. I have done a few fiberglass projects so I have only a little knowledge on the subject so I could be wrong…

^^^^^100% correct cotton fleece is my choice of fabric

Last edited:
Back