• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cruising at what RPM?

97vulcan

CEG'er
I was wondering at what RPM would one cruise at in third or fourth gear without lugging the engine, or over revving. I usually cruise in fourth at about 2500RPM but feel this is too low.

Thanks,

Adam

2800-3k is usually the point to which I switch... Unless I am trying to make someone hear something special with my exhaust (which is just about never even with the Magnaflows)-- My car is nothing special, so I don't try to make it stand out like it is..

I usually switch every gear at 2800, sometimes when I feel good about myself I will run it up for fun

2800-3k is usually the point to which I switch... Unless I am trying to make someone hear something special with my exhaust (which is just about never even with the Magnaflows)-- My car is nothing special, so I don't try to make it stand out like it is..

I usually switch every gear at 2800, sometimes when I feel good about myself I will run it up for fun

i try to keep it below 3000

Does anyone else wish the SVTs had a sixth gear so the engine wouldn't churn at 3500 rpms at 80 mph? I'm sure this sentiment has been expressed but I haven't seen anyone bring it up.

*EDIT* btw, I usually shift around 3000 when driving really casually, sometimes 3500-4000 when I need to accelerate a little quicker. I've found that I don't want the rpms to drop much below 2000 if I'm still getting up to speed because it's pretty gutless down there.

Last edited:
Does anyone else wish the SVTs had a sixth gear so the engine wouldn't churn at 3500 rpms at 80 mph? I'm sure this sentiment has been expressed but I haven't seen anyone bring it up.

*EDIT* btw, I usually shift around 3000 when driving really casually, sometimes 3500-4000 when I need to accelerate a little quicker. I've found that I don't want the rpms to drop much below 2000 if I'm still getting up to speed because it's pretty gutless down there.

There is a mondeo 6 speed available, I think. Go over to Fordcontour.org and check it out. The answer is there someplace. I think you need a 3.0L or something to really use it....that and it costs a decent amount to ship it over.

I very much enjoy the way Ford set the gearing on the SVT. Having the tach hover around 3500 at 80 keeps the engine on boil, so acceleration is effortless. If it ran 3500 at 70, I'd have a problem with that.

To answer the original question -- I don't much care for the revs dropping below 2300 at cruise. The car never seems too thrilled about it, though I no doubt could get away with it. This means I'm running 4th gear through to about 50 if I'm just being leisurely. Bottom line, though -- its all about feel.

When I want to get on it, make no mistake, I'm not shy about it -- though I never beat the car. Shifting in the sixes is something the car loves to do -- why not let her stretch her legs once in a while?

Yup. Beaten to death in the transaxle forum. If your really concerned you can get a zetec final drive.

3rd till 40mph 4th till 60mph i use 5th like od. geared @ 3.83 w/quaife diff. and the mmt6 is junk for vehicles w/power. weak weak weak! get some quaife gearing if you'd like a change.

Don't I feel like the abuser! Mine sees 6000 pretty much daily! I guees I like the sound of that SVT engine too much, especially with the secondaries working! lol Also explains my fuel economy....:shrug:

I'm with you on this, since i drive my car like 3 days a month. I like to open her up a bit. She likes to let me know she can still pull hard if i need her too. :laugh:

I was wondering at what RPM would one cruise at in third or fourth gear without lugging the engine, or over revving. I usually cruise in fourth at about 2500RPM but feel this is too low.

Thanks,

Adam
What does the owner's manual say? They're free online if you don't have one.

2500 is fine. Just don't forget you are in 4th and floor it when you need some extra acceleration. Or try to climb a steep hill.
Karl

I usualy go into 5th at 45 mph.

Ill go into 4th 28 mph and higher if I am just crusing, but if I need to accelerate a lot I will downshift.

I usualy go into 5th at 45 mph.

Ill go into 4th 28 mph and higher if I am just crusing, but if I need to accelerate a lot I will downshift.

I agree with that too-- If i'm lazy/hungover/or just going to a friends house I will basically hit those numbers...

Sometimes the tempatation gets the best of me and I will have fun with the car though.. However my fourth usually comes in at about 35-40, and the fifth at 45-50

Back