• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

64 degrees!!!

I've got one of the DVD's of the show.

I've been watching them, too -- love the dry humor. They had a 1981 Chevette Scooter on one of them. The Scooter was the ultra-econ model, stripped to bare bones; it didn't even have a back seat -- though it may have gained that back by '81. Though the Chevette sold well, few customers were willing to sacrifice that much for economy, especially when it only meant saving a few bucks. Sales figures I remember don't exceed triple digits per year, so I was amused they had one. Of course, Red takes out the sledge while trying to pull the alternator, but...

Uncovered the Miata and started her up for the first time in three weeks....rolled her out into the driveway and brought the engine up to temp....back into the garage, put the cover back on. I still have 6-12 inches of snow everywhere. I hope it rains and takes all the crappy brown snow with it....

Uncovered the Miata and started her up for the first time in three weeks....rolled her out into the driveway and brought the engine up to temp....back into the garage, put the cover back on. I still have 6-12 inches of snow everywhere. I hope it rains and takes all the crappy brown snow with it....
Good idea. Now that the snow is off the driveway I should do that too. But I'd be too tempted to take it out for a spin. Waiting for that rain to take the salt off the roads!

The high temp for yesterday must of been wrong, but some good reading for today:

Good Tuesday evening!

It is amazing how extreme our weather has been during the first 8 days of January. It was late last week when a record low of -3 degrees was tied at Bradley International Airport. Today, a record high was broken. The official high at the airport was 62 degrees, which beat the old record of 59 degrees, set on January 8, 1930. Thus, a record that has stood for 78 years was broken today. The all-time record high for the entire month of January is 72 degrees, and that was set just one year ago on January 6th.

Other records were tied or broken in Southern New England today. The high in Boston was 67 degrees. It was 66 in Providence, and 62 degrees in Worcester. All of these temperatures broke records that were set in 1930. In Bridgeport, the record high was tied today when the mercury reached 57 degrees.

The mild weather isn't going away any time soon. Lows tonight will be in the 40s and highs tomorrow will be in the 50s. The record high for tomorrow, January 9th, is 64 degrees, set in 1937. That record should stand. A cold front will cross the state by early afternoon with a few showers. It is the same front that brought violent weather to much of the Midwest and Plains yesterday and today. The front will be much weaker by the time it reaches Connecticut. Thus, we do not expect severe weather here. Also, the air behind the front won't be all that cold. Temperatures will still rise will into the 40s on Thursday. The normal high is now 34 degrees.

On Friday, another storm will pass to our west. That means Connecticut will be on the warm side with just plain rain. Rain should begin after midnight Thursday night and the wet weather should last most of Friday morning. A passing cold front will bring drier weather to the state Friday afternoon and we might even see some sunshine before the day is over. Once again temperatures will rise into the 40s to possibly near 50 degrees.

The weekend will bring colder weather and temperatures may finally drop back to near normal levels by Sunday. Early next week should be seasonably cold and we may have to deal with some snow. At this point, it looks like a coastal storm will miss Southern New England to the south on Monday, although that is not a guarantee. Another system will move in from the west on Tuesday and it could bring a light snowfall to the state. We'll keep you posted, but it does look like winter is coming back even though it will take a while.

Enjoy the milder weather while it lasts!

Good idea. Now that the snow is off the driveway I should do that too. But I'd be too tempted to take it out for a spin. Waiting for that rain to take the salt off the roads!

you should definitely get out there and start it every so often.
Have you disconnected the battery?

We roll our cars to a different position every 2 weeks, and start them every month. Tire pressure is pretty much at max too.

three weeks is about the max you can go without charging or starting a car to charge the battery .... mine is currently in my apartment on a charger, the battery in my SVT was basically dead, at 12.1 volts it has 0% capacity. So that was charged over chirstmas and I ran the car then ... need to again soon.

check this out for a battery charger, I would feel safe leaving a battery on it for a long time ... its the one my father and I have. northerntools.com has it for $100 ...

Last edited:
i have to charge the battery in the SVT before i try to start it, well i am assuming i do.
its disconnected but for some reason i have no luck with batteries and that car.

My SVT used to kill batteries too....even the Optima battery took a beating. The tiny little lawn mower battery in the MSM seems to last longer. I'm pretty impressed by the Mazdas so far.

I was bored today and I was going to head out to a local establishment for some "entertainment" but when I felt how warm it was outside I decided to stay home and hose off the car and get rid of the sand and what not that has collected on and under the car.

I took the SVT out tonight for a quick drive. Felt nice to get behind the wheel of that again. Too bad the alignment is completely out of whack and drives like poop.

Patiently waiting for axle swap, header install, and Warmonger front and rear kit before I do the alignment.

I took the SVT out tonight for a quick drive.
The same. :cool:
There's something about the Contour that just makes you yearn to drive it! I love the way the clutch feels. I'm so glad we had that little rainstorm this afternoon to clear the roads.

When I get behind the wheel it reallys sucks cause I know the gas gauge is going to drop faster than I want. I have to keep repeating to myself

"Ease up on the pedal, ease up on the pedal...."

Love driving it though.

I was bored today and I was going to head out to a local establishment for some "entertainment" but when I felt how warm it was outside I decided to stay home and hose off the car and get rid of the sand and what not that has collected on and under the car.

Haha! Washing the car beats out the tittie bar. You don't see that everyday! :cool:

Back