• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car won't start... I think it's my fault.

s2pac

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Recently my 1998 Contour (V6 ATX, 104,000 miles) spat out a couple of codes. The recommended action was to replace the intake manifold gaskets, so I set out to do so. After removing the UIM, I gandered at the LIM and its interconnectedness with the fuel system and decided to not remove it. However, I noticed all the filth and gunk build up and wanted to clean it up. So I used a combination of a knife, brass brush, and carburetor cleaner to spiffy up my LIM. I knowingly allowed the liquid to pour down into the intake because I planned on changing my oil immediately afterwards. However, I think I made a serious error in doing so, because after installing the two upper gaskets and reassembling the UIM, my car simply will not start. I pulled everything back off, even the spark plugs, to air out the engine. After that, I meticulously replaced all the components, ensuring that nothing was left unhooked or disconnected. It still would not start. So my conclusion is that I committed a rather flagrant mistake in cleaning my LIM on my car and allowing the fluid to pour down into the intake. Any feedback is appreciated, whether it is confirming my suspicions, illuminating any other possible problems, providing any possible solutions, or just to tell me I am and idiot. Thanks in advance.

No, you are not an idiot. Many CEGers experience a no start condition after cleaning the UIM/LIM. You should "start" by making sure all the wiring are in the proper place. Make sure the SP wiring is correct. Make sure the ground strap for the coil is in. That is usually something missed out.

Does the engine sound like it is turning very fast? If it is, try pushing the gas pedal all the way down (this shuts of the injectors). If that doesn't work, try taking two SP out and putting a teaspoon or two of engine oil in the cylinders. Then resintall and try cranking again. You are trying to build compression in the engine.

Edit. SPwiring order. Note the 4-6-5 for the coil pack.

Firewall side
4- 6 -5 <--coil pack
3-2-1

1-2-3 <--engine
4-5-6
Radiator side

SP gap should be 0.054 inch.

Autozonelink. groundstrap coilpack
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/c4/02/0900823d801bc402/repairInfoPages.htm

Last edited:
If you've dumped alot of fluid into the cylinder heads (which you would have if you did the LIM cleaning with the LIM still attached) You may have hydrolocked the motor.

Make sure that each cylinder is completely free of any fluids before moving on.

Does the engine turn over at all? Or is it completely dead altogether?

The engine does turn over, but it does not seem any faster than normal, in fact it feels/sounds slower. I tried putting a smidgen of oil in the cylinders to regain the compression and that did not work. When I turn the key, it sometimes acts like it wants to start, especially with the pedal on the floor, but it ends up backfiring. I do not want to kill my starter and drain my battery so I am reluctant to press this, but it does show signs of life, albeit weak. Thanks for the help so far. I am going to check the coil pack and wiring order now.

mine is exact same thing!

had bad starter, replaced it and also did UIM/LIM rebuild. now my car has exact symptoms as yours!

gonna check coil stuff tomorro.

To the both of you. Check the SP wiring at the coil pack and SP. Remember 4-6-5 at coil pack.

Check your coil like mentioned....all wiring and plugs.
Look and double check these

1. Coil ground wire
2. Coil power plug , and is it fully seated.
3 fuel pressure vacuum line is connected
4. Power plug to Throttle body, TPS

I have forgotten these things myself before....Are your plugs wet? Are you getting any spark? Take the plugs out, dry the cylinders with an air blower if you have access. I would test for spark and firing order first though. good luck

was busy all wknd and checked my plugs last night and discovered
that the front 3 plugs ( sp 4 - 5 - 6 ) were wet!
pulled out one near coil pack (sp 1) and that one was dry (assumed 2 and 3 were dry too)

im guessing Fuel Pressure Regulator bad hence fuel not distributed correctly??

or coil pack as ya'll are mentioning.

Last edited:
was busy all wknd and checked my plugs last night and discovered
that the front 3 plugs ( sp 4 - 5 - 6 ) were wet!
pulled out one near coil pack (sp 1) and that one was dry (assumed 2 and 3 were dry too)

im guessing Fuel Pressure Regulator bad hence fuel not distributed correctly??

or coil pack as ya'll are mentioning.
So, what are the new CEL codes? If it is indeed the coilpack, then you should get maybe P0304, P0305 and P0306.

i've done this before too,pull the plugs and crank the engine,this should remove any remaining fluid. reinstall dry plugs and try again.

No Start

No Start

Also do as Tony suggested earlier. Put some oil in the front cylinders to help with compression. Do this after drying out the plugs and cylinder. Dan

pulled all spark plugs, cranked a few times, dried plugs and replaced.

nothing. turns but no spark.

all grounds, wires, hoses, and everything is plugged in as well.

???

pulled all spark plugs, cranked a few times, dried plugs and replaced.

nothing. turns but no spark.

all grounds, wires, hoses, and everything is plugged in as well.

???
So what were the CEL codes? Maybe check the fuses.

Weird!!

when i turn key on to 'on' the lights are battery and oil and Check Engine.

Now, i got a odbII scanner and plugged it in and it keeps on saying "Pass, No Codes found"

wth??

check engine light will always light when you turn the key over but unless it is running it won't throw a code. did you guys do the lim with it on the car still? I did mine and had some buildup get in the cylinder walls. I had to pull every plug and crank it for a while then put it all back and it fired right up

Back