• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

remote start

CSVT_2004

Hard-core CEG'er
Has anyone put a remote start system in their SVT Contour? I work @ Best Buy Mobile Install and the only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how exactly to bypass my clutch switch. I could ask my supervisor, but I haven't yet. The way I see it, I would have to bypass the clutch switch in order to trick the car into thinking the clutch was pushed in, and also meaning that I'd have to leave my car in neutral all the time (obviously), I can't figure if there is any wires though that detect if the transmission is in gear or not. I've looked on mitchell on demand and seen some wires that might be something but I'm not for sure. I need to look under the engine and see if any wires in the program match up or are there at all. I just am hopeing there is some wire that will be able to tell if the manual transmission is in neutral or not, because I'd like to have that added sense of security, in case i should forget to put the car out of gear.

There is no such wire on the trans. Only a switch on the clutch. There was a how to for a clutch switch disable on the main site, but I am unsure if that works or not right now.

What best buy do you work at?

If you wanna make it easy you could strip both wires a bit then twist them together with the harness still attached. But you won't have cruise control. becuase the car will always think the clutch is pushed in and disengage the CC. I grounded one of the wires on MX's old svt and he says that he still had cruise. on directechs it tells you what wire i believe. Its really easy

Last edited:
Yeah, my supervisor told me that too, that the wire has to be grounded. I'm in Madison, WI. Well I was told at one time, if you had a manual transmission you had to buy like a $100 microswtich kit, that allowed the remote start to know weather or not the car was in gear, by putting a micro switch on each gear. Or maybe it's not carried anymore, ever heard of this?

Compustar's are compatible with manual transmissions :shrug: You have to put the car in neutral and pull the E-brake for it to be able to remote start the next time around I believe. Just food for thought.

Tas Electronics wanted to charge me another $100 to wire up a standard remote starter to my MTX so I backed out :rolleyes:

insight

insight

the funny thing that you describe actually happend to a buddy of mine. he has his s-10 in first gear without the parking break, and it drove itself out of the parking lot!! hopefully you find that wire!

Compustar's are compatible with manual transmissions :shrug: You have to put the car in neutral and pull the E-brake for it to be able to remote start the next time around I believe. Just food for thought.

Tas Electronics wanted to charge me another $100 to wire up a standard remote starter to my MTX so I backed out :rolleyes:

See the problem with that is, that my car doesn't have a neutral switch as far as I know, If i get some time tonight at work i'm going to try playing around with it and see if i can find something.

See the problem with that is, that my car doesn't have a neutral switch as far as I know, If i get some time tonight at work i'm going to try playing around with it and see if i can find something.

I did it I just unpluged the switch and that bypassed it. I might have made a jumper to plug into the harness to jumper the two wires together but its like a 5 min thing. very very simple

I did it I just unpluged the switch and that bypassed it. I might have made a jumper to plug into the harness to jumper the two wires together but its like a 5 min thing. very very simple

Does that affect the cruise control at all?

no but if you push the clutch in with the cruise on it will just rev the engine up so you need to tap the brake or turn the cruise off before depressing the clutch

Well from what I've heard, it's a simple matter of grounding the right wire for a remote start on that switch, and then you can still retain that cruise control functionality...

my way worked just fine I thought unless your in the habit of turning the cruise off with the clutch

Yeah, I usually turn my cruise off that way. once or twice I think I've used my clutch, I think it's instinct, then again the brake should do the same. I think I'm in the habit of off switch, down shift, and e-brake..... that's my little process for when my fuz goes off...

Back