• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spring Zing drive - question

As with the trip home we all don't have to drive together either. I would prefer the US route also. We should also plan this along with the PA/NY folks to meet up on the way out.

riding with you guys worked well for me last year. i don't think i would have made it home when i did, i'd have had to stop at a hotel or something.

If I can get time off, I'd like to meet up with NECEG again. I don't know how I'm going to ask for a week off from a company that I'll only be working at for like 2 months at the time of SZ.

Any suggestions?

If you tell them right up front that you've had a vacation planned, hotel booked, etc., they're usually very understanding. It may not be a *paid* vacation, but, they'll usually grant the time if you've already got the trip booked.

If you tell them right up front that you've had a vacation planned, hotel booked, etc., they're usually very understanding. It may not be a *paid* vacation, but, they'll usually grant the time if you've already got the trip booked.

this is what I did, I told them up front that I had a trip planned and I just took the time unpaid.

I'll give it a shot. It'll be different asking for vacations now. Every year I get 30 days paid and now I'll be starting at the bottom again for vacation time.

Time to look at camping spots again. I paid $55 last year for the 4 days I was there and was able to cook breakfast on the tailgate of the truck. Very cheap way to stay.

IIRC, I gave you fifteen dollars out of the total 25 owed, and even that was just party money, so it is at least ten dollars if not more. ;)

Alright, so here's a rough outline of what I'd like to do this year. Please give it a read and post your opinions:

Tuesday May 13th - depart NH and meet NE'ers along the way (the usual spots)
No leaving at ungodly hours of the morning either. I doubt the CT folks would have to leave their houses any earlier than like 10-11ish.

Drive most of the day Tuesday and stop to sleep for the night. Where we sleep depends on how many people we have in our caravan. I will look at options ranging anywhere from camping, crashing at other CEGers homes, or motel/hotels.
I think driving straight from here to the Cleveland OH area is doable without too much fatigue. It'd be about 11 hours for most, and less obviously for others.

Wednesday May 14th - at a reasonably early hour, depart from Cleveland area and drive roughly one hour to Sandusky Ohio - Cedar Point. Spend the day getting amusement park silly. Park hours that day are 10am-7pm.
Obviously if we sleep further east than Cleveland, the drive to Sandusky in the morning will be a little longer. No more than 2 hours is ideal, IMO.

Most likely we won't stay at the park til closing. Maybe leave a bit early, get some dinner and then depart for Canton, MI, which is 2 hours from Sandusky.
That would mean checking into the hotel in Canton Wednesday night, rather than Thursday the 15th, like most CEGers.
We have never had a problem in the past getting a hotel to extend the discounted rate for extra days, so I doubt this will be a problem. I'll look into it just in case anyone is nervous about it.

Thursday May 15th - sleep in to your heart's content. Spending the day chilling out, maybe wash your car, whatevah!
The Waterford Hills racing event will be on this day, so you get to look forward to attending that if you like.

You know the schedule for the rest of the weekend.

The trip home can be similar to the trip out, without Cedar Point of course, but that will also depend on when we leave.
I know some people like to skip out on the Sunday event and just go home, but I'd prefer not to. So we'll need to discuss those options as well.

i can have 4-5 people crash at my place if they wanted. i live just west of cleveland about 5 minutes from the browns stadium. more are welcome to stay at my place, they'll just have to sleep on the floor :laugh:

i can have 4-5 people crash at my place if they wanted. i live just west of cleveland about 5 minutes from the browns stadium. more are welcome to stay at my place, they'll just have to sleep on the floor :laugh:

Thanks for the offer. I definitely had you in mind as someone I'd be begging for crash space. :)

don't forget to get kim drunk first.
whistle.gif

not sure if I would want to take a side trip or just head straight to SZ. Jess is interested in going to Cedar Point, not sure if I want to. But if we don't head out with you guys I would be planning to take 80, etc out

Maybe you could arrange to take your exams early. :shrug: It couldn't hurt to ask them now.

My college professors allowed students to take their final exams early. We had a pretty large population of students from like 70 different countries. Some of them had to go home at the end of the semester and the final exams often conflicted with their flight arrangements.

Yeah, I think if you're not going to do the 2 day trip, then that route makes the most sense for you.

I think heading out 80 is slightly longer then taking 90 but there are no tolls and it appears alittle more direct. It worked well coming home last year and I do believe most of the PA folks head out this way.

I think heading out 80 is slightly longer then taking 90 but there are no tolls and it appears alittle more direct. It worked well coming home last year and I do believe most of the PA folks head out this way.

definitely more direct. so direct it's kinda boring actually! but yeah, it's a direct line across the whole country. still this cedar point thing sounds like a great opportunity for some monkey business!

Back