• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clutch problems after repair

Kurupt22

New CEG'er
First off I would like to say hello, my name is Randy and I have been "lurking" here since I bought my 98 CSVT march '05. Very useful site for the misc problems or questions I have had. So for my first post I hate to ask for help but I couldn't find the exact problem. So.... last Saturday I was driving the car and to make a long story short, my master cylinder went out. Fortunately I happened to be close to a transmission shop. Just a "ma and pa" place in San Diego. Very cheap work done by some nice Mexicans that I trust with no problems. So the mechanic recommended I change the clutch (102100 mi) with the cylinder. Total work, $540, with out the clutch just the cylinder replacement is $320. I opted to go the cheaper route (broke broke broke! after Christmas and new years). I know I could take a high risk of a clutch going out sometime soon and end up paying more in the long run for labor since everything has to be removed again, but I thought and I knew my clutch was strong. Never any sign of problems. After I picked up my car from the shop I almost got ran over on the highway cause my car had no power. The RMPs just shot up while the car tries to catch up. Not cool, now I would normally guess the Clutch is slipping, but for this to happen RIGHT after all this work was done it makes me think its gotta be something else, the clutch went in to the shop fine, it cant break or go out while its sitting there. I watched him lower it, drive it 25 ft to me and I drove it out of the garage and noticed right away. I want to go back and tell him the problem but I am afraid he is going to say "hahaha I told you to buy a clutch" and then a$$ rape me with another hefty repair charge. A lot of stuff comes off with the master cylinder replacement (exhaust, whole clutch, tranny) something other then the clutch has to be causing this problem or this guy hosed me with a F'd up clutch.

Thank you SO much for your help!

- Randy

Last edited:
Just to remove a trans and replace a clutch is about 1k in labor from a dealer. I doubt they even did any work.

Master cylinder? Are you sure that's what you're thinking of? Why that would require removing the tranny is beyond me...

Maybe you're referring to the TOB/Slave Cylinder?

Master cylinder? Are you sure that's what you're thinking of? Why that would require removing the tranny is beyond me...

Maybe you're referring to the TOB/Slave Cylinder?

Yeah thats what i was told, it was leaking break fluid and the clutch was limp. He told me he had to take the tranny out to replace it. However i may be wrong his English wasn't very good. I watched him do most of the work. However this is way beyond any of my knowledge. I just cant figure out why the car doesnt have the acceleration it use to and why does the RPMs jump every gear with out any pull. I don't want to call it a slipping clutch becuase the car went in to the shop with a fantastic clutch.

The slave leaked fluid, contaminating the friction surfaces on your clutch disc. It will need to be replaced and the flywheel thoroughly cleaned with solvent.

Let me ask you this-- if you discovered a leaking drum brake wheel cylinder, don't you always replace the shoes? It works the same with a clutch.

The slave leaked fluid, contaminating the friction surfaces on your clutch disc. It will need to be replaced and the flywheel thoroughly cleaned with solvent.

Let me ask you this-- if you discovered a leaking drum brake wheel cylinder, don't you always replace the shoes? It works the same with a clutch.

Wow never thought about that. That really sucks, makes me wish now i had changed it all when he said too, i guess i am just ignorant with this :( I was really hoping it was just an install error of some sort. Just driving it home now when i backed out at work on a hill i could barely get the car to go up it in reverse and then every gear car couldnt match the RPMs. It's also weird that when it idles, it idles at about 2k for a while and then slowly comes down to normal.

this sounds close to my problem... http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=20282&highlight=clutch+idle

Since i got the slave replaced already all i need is a Clutch Disk and Pressure plate right?

Yes. And the flywheel SHOULD be resurfaced. Many here will disagree but if you're trying to save money you could probably get away with just cleaning its surface thoroughly. If there is any brake fluid on it at all the new clutch disc will be contaminated as well. Make sure it is perfectly dry and spotless.

Yes. And the flywheel SHOULD be resurfaced. Many here will disagree but if you're trying to save money you could probably get away with just cleaning its surface thoroughly. If there is any brake fluid on it at all the new clutch disc will be contaminated as well. Make sure it is perfectly dry and spotless.

Thanks a ton, i appreciate the advice

Back