• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

so who's car ...

All I can say is that a newer five year warrenty Motocraft battary and a full synthetic oil is all that you need your car to start in cold weather.

Last night I got a few turns and then clickclickclick on the 3l. The SVT doesn't even run and I don't have a key.... so I didn't try to start it :laugh:
wait a minute - I'm very confused.

What are you driving now (what's a "3l")?
And do you own an SVT?

ok I see the clever sig update .. and you go through Contours very very quickly ... :help:

Mine didn't want to start. It was 10 below when I went to work here at 5:30am. My battery is getting there, it's 4 1/2 years old now.

It took a tad bit longer, nothing to worry about.

Funny thing, I haven't driven my car in the snow in 2 years. Yesterday was the first day b/c I had to go back to work. :( 1.5 hour drive to work on a normal day. Wednesday, it took me almost 2 hrs.

My car was blue, now its white; no, not like at that meet last winter, worse, much worse.

I refilled my washer fluid this morning before I left, this was at 615am. By the time I got on the highway my windshield was a tad dirty, well, guess what, the fluid didnt spray, so my stupid wipers streaked my windshield:mad: .

Hey, I like work, I'm not complaining, it just makes things interesting.

3l as in 3L ...
well, no kidding ... but I didn't know he bought another Contour. It wasn't in his sig at the time. I suppose I could have put 2+2 together, but his "official" reason for selling the SVT was for finances, so I assumed he had no car or a cheap beater.

well, no kidding ... but I didn't know he bought another Contour. It wasn't in his sig at the time. I suppose I could have put 2+2 together, but his "official" reason for selling the SVT was for finances, so I assumed he had no car or a cheap beater.

I knew I would confuse some people with that.

I got the ok to keep the car, but decided to sell it anyways. I ended up buying Dycomet's car and having it shipped from Ohio. I also picked up an SVT in the deal I made when I sold mine. I sold it to a gentleman in Saugus he owned an SVT that was sitting for about 9 months.

So now i have a Spruce Green 3L SE and a black 98 SVT in my driveway. So it all worked out in the end.

Wow, so many speshul, advanced-knowledge people in this thread.
yaaay!
pict0026_edited.jpg

The reason for a slow cranking cold engine isn't just the oil. Although, no doubt having the proper viscosity oil does help a lot. Synthetic oil helps that little bit more.

The biggest reason for an engine turning over slowly is the lack of current the battery can generate when its cold. A property maintained battery (electrolyte specific gravity, electrolyte fill level, clean electrical connections) is the best way to combat a slow cranking engine. Also, car batteries have a life limit. In the northeast its about 4 or 5 years. If you have a well maintained 4 year old battery, a new battery with the same capacity will outperform the 4 year old unit.

Its not just the battery terminals that need to be kept clean. The other end of the battery's positive wire on the starter is just as important. The same is true for where the negative battery wire attaches to the frame of the car.

Letting your car warm up before you drive, thats up to you. Manufacturers say its not necessary to warm up the engine. There's a few reasons behind that, driving makes the engine work so it warms up faster. Plus the higher exhaust temperature heats up the catalytic converter faster so it can start working sooner than if you let the engine idle. There are areas in some engines where the upper valve train receives oil from narrow passages and the tolerances between the lubricated parts are very small. The cold thick oil in some cases can't get into the areas even though it is being pumped under pressure until the engine block warms up. In some engines it can take up to 10 or more minutes for the oil to reach these areas.

of course it is..it looks just like kim only younger and with glasses!

*runs and hides under table*

Back