• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Battery Light

Well, we charged the battery up and maybe turned it on for a total of 1 minute after it was charged and today it wont start back up. Would the battery lose power that fast? Would this point to the battery not holding a charge, since the alternator wouldnt have a chance to do much in 1 minute of running, right?

But... On the Shumacher battery charger I have the meter says the battery is almost full... What's up now?

Battery is not holding charge because......

1) You have a current drain or

2) You need a new battery.

1) Test with ammeter which is put between positive of battery terminal and positive battery cable. Power draw should be less than 0.05 amps (due to clock, pcm, power lock module, etc.).

2) Take battery to Autozone or Advance to test (free) or get a new one for about $65.

Hook a multimeter up between the ground cable and the ground terminal on the battery, and set it for DC amperage, see what it's drawing, should be pretty low with the vehicle off...

Tony, and CSVT are both trying to point out that you cannot measure current flow ON a circuit. the flow must go THOUGH the meter, unlike reading voltage. You must place the meter IN the ciruit.

so, remove the battery terminal itself, and connect one lead of the meter to the battery terminal (which is bare, now) and the other lead to the cable that USED to be hooked to the battery.

Well, I think we narrowed it down to the alternator.. Had the battery tested and everything. Spent about 6 hours on the alternator today and only thing to show for it was getting the belt off. Very nice engineering here, Ford. We give up - taking it to a mechanic Monday.

Also thought my front end was unaligned, but found out the screw that connects the drivers side strut to the hub was missing. Messed around with that for a bit, breaking a screw in the passenger side one and buying 2 wrong sized screws(or right sized ones that wouldnt go in).

EDIT: Does it mean anything when my battery light only comes on when I hit the gas & when I hit the breaks? It's not on while I coast.

What have you guys paid for alternator to get done? I got a "deal" for $120 in labor & a $170 alternator w/lifetime.

Back