• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

so who's car ...

BrApple

No Life But CEG
almost didn't start this morning :help:

I think that was the hardest its been to start the car in the mornings for a few years now .... but then again I know running 10w-40 oil doesn't help either ...

btw weather.com says it about 3 degrees out with a wind chill making it feel like -7 ....

Haven't gone out yet but I'm cringing just thinking about it.

The cold is nasty, but it was the winds yesterday that killed me! I went on a mile walk (round trip) to get food in Somerville yesterday, walking against the wind on the way back. Couldn't feel anything after!

the vic cranked a little slower than usual but not much.
i hate listening to all the creaks and groans from the car when it is this cold out, it almost sounds like the car is going to crack and break.

the vic cranked a little slower than usual but not much.
i hate listening to all the creaks and groans from the car when it is this cold out, it almost sounds like the car is going to crack and break.

mine cranked way slower the usual, I really thought it wasn't going to start as it normally starting right away. This morning it cranked over at least once or twice before starting ... at least I have a jump pack in the apartment if I need it.

yeah I heard alot of creaks and groans I had not heard before this morning, not fun at all

Mine started up pretty good. Although I'm sure the parking garage thing helped. I thought my fingers were going to fall off while driving and waiting for the heat to be ready. Leather steering wheel + aluminum shift knob = :blackeye:

Cranked up a tiny bit slower, but no problems. It said 8-11 degrees in my car just a few mins ago on my way in.

The car's ambient thermometer said 2 degrees today (in the sun!). It was a little rough to crank but fine otherwise. The shifter and clutch didn't want to move ... the toughest I've ever seen them. The shifter usually goes into gears like a spoon in peanut butter, today it felt like forcing a knife to cut frozen pizza.

Surprisingly (if that's a word) my wifes car started ok this AM. :shrug: I just don't get it. One day it won't start and then the next it will :crazy:

ummmmmmmmmmm. Cars should have no problems starting at all when it is above 0 outside. Both of my tours started with no problems when it reaches -30F when they had synthetic oil in them. After that is when they started turning over slowly. The 95 didn't even have a head bolt heater on it. I read an article someplace online that they said you shouldn't start your car and leave it running for more than 1 or 2 min because you are just wasting gas because it will be warm in couple of blocks. Yeah right. When it is -40F, you drive 5 miles before the heat even thinks of warming up above ice cold.

I was really happy this morning when it said 11 degrees on my way to work.

Last edited:
ummmmmmmmmmm. Cars should have no problems starting at all when it is above 0 outside. Both of my tours started with no problems when it reaches -30F when they had synthetic oil in them. After that is when they started turning over slowly. The 95 didn't even have a head bolt heater on it. I read an article someplace online that they said you shouldn't start your car and leave it running for more than 1 or 2 min because you are just wasting gas because it will be warm in couple of blocks. Yeah right. When it is -40F, you drive 5 miles before the heat even thinks of warming up above ice cold.

I was really happy this morning when it said 11 degrees on my way to work.

True story :cool: I remember hearing someone say you shouldn't need to warm up your car for more than 30 seconds :laugh:

I let the ranger warm up for maybe a minute yesterday (-4 here) and it wouldn't shift into gear (auto). Probably a minute later it was ready to roll though. I've never had a problem with any of my cars starting ever. But below -20 I start having my doubts :laugh:

My cougar I let warm up for a few minutes because its pretty much impossible to get it into second gear if I don't. I need to fork over the $$ and get a remote start...

Last night I got a few turns and then clickclickclick on the 3l. The SVT doesn't even run and I don't have a key.... so I didn't try to start it :laugh:

Fired right up with no problems this morning.

My main concern is when the windows freeze up, since they go down a little bit automatically when I open the doors.

I haven't tried to start my car yet today :laugh:
However, I must say that it has always started for me, even though it cranks a bit slower. And on the coldest of cold days, it IS bit hesitant to shift out of first gear, but that's because I don't warm it up enough :cool:

Back