• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Crate engine Nobel M400

Lt_hailBob

Veteran CEG'er
Is it possible to use the crate engine that they use in the Nobel M400. Its basically a custom built ford 3.0L thats available from a texas company called AER for $4,400. With the turbos the Nobel uses produces 425hp.

Someone posted a while back that they did that.

Unless you are planning a lot of boost, you will be paying for a lot of good stuff that far exceeds your need. It also may include low compression blower pistons that would hurt any non boosted performance.

Agreed...Unless you are prepared to go all the way with the Noble setup, I wouldn't bother. But it will indeed work if that's the direction you want to go.
Big Jim, who was that bought the AER block about six months ago? I can't remember off the top of my head. They were intending to do a big nasty turbo setup with that block since it uses the Piston Oil Squirters.

Eric

did he actually get it all together? This may be naive, but can the transmission really handle 425hp?

if built correctly it can ... check out fastcougar on NECO, he is making so much power that his stage 3 clutch is slipping ... thats 440 fts of torque ... also its all in how you apply the power, if you roll into the power its much better then shocking the driveline with it ...

We use a custom forged aluminum piston from Wiseco which results in a compression ratio of about 8.5:1

The rods are Scat's 4340 forged H-beam with ARP 2000 bolts. (These are not the Q-Lite version)

Standard green top, 42 lb Ford Lightning injectors.

In terms of balancing and blueprinting:
Each crank is rebalanced to match the weight of the new forged rods and pistons.
Each block is checked for deck height, main bore size, etc.
Heads and cranks and inspected as well. Due to small variations in piston size,
we measure each and every one in our climate controlled quality dept and then make very closely matched sets of six.
After this, each block is honed to match the set of six pistons.
We do this in order to maintain very tight control over the piston-to-bore clearance to reduce the possiblilty
of piston slap from the increased clearance requirements of a forged piston.

Other items which are different:
1) The camshafts are a unique profile with increased lift and duration.
2) The block is specially machined to install piston squirters on each cylinder.
3) The accessory drive setup requires a non-stock front cover.
4) We use a special dual frequency damper for engine smoothness. This is not an underdrive or lightweight type change.
5) Lighter weight 19 lb flywheel (SVT flywheel)

--- Dave Walker, AER Manufacturing ---

The long block price for me was $4300 + $125 freight. The pictures below show the engine as I received it.

The order number for these engines is:
(800) 753-5237
and the part# is L30NOBLE.

Front.JPG

Rear.JPG

Right.JPG

Left.JPG

Oil%20Drain%20Backs.JPG

Throttle%20Body.JPG

Coil%20on%20Plug.JPG

Manifold.JPG

Top%20Left.jpg

Injector.jpg

Last edited:
did he actually get it all together? This may be naive, but can the transmission really handle 425hp?

I didn't want to take the risk!

I ordered a brand new European MTX75 (3.823 final drive ratio) from BAT and had it shipped to Terry Haines "Haines Motor Sports Inc" for modification:
  1. Torsen T2 LSD Install
  2. Slick Shift Kit
  3. Keyed tower mod
  4. Koated Kogbox mod
  5. Speedo drive parts

The whole thing ran $1593 to BAT (MTX75 and Torsen T2 LSD) and about $870 to Haines Motor Sports Inc. Well worth it to me for peace of mind. I'm not likely to have problems with the tranny. Might break driveaxles at worst.

I'll also run a Spec stage 3+ and the stock driveaxles.

That is awesome. Whats keeping ou from install?
Lack of facilities and a really serious lack of time. I have every darn thing needed to assemble the drivetrain.

I'm planning to put a large separate garage/guest house on my property. I have 12 mostly wooded acres with a nice clear, flat spot for the building. The whole property is way back in the woods, 2300 ft from the nearest road. I have an easement through a farmer’s field for my private road.

It’s a long story as to why I’ve delayed the construction.

I do have a two car attached garage with my house, but no lift and too many tools / junk to really use it as an assembly area.

Despite this, I’ve been slowly working on the cars.

Last edited:
whatcha gonna do with the old engine JEDscontour?
Oh, I don’t know…. Bury it in the woods I suppose. Something good for the environment.

I mean who would actually want the complete drivetrain (engine and tranny) from a Contour SVT with over 28,000 miles on it?

I spent today working on this car. The exhaust, the entire suspension (to include the rear subframe) and all the brakes (except for the hard lines and master cylinder) are out of the car and spread out in my garage – and the funny thing is none of it is going back in except the front sway bar.

I love working on desert cars! The original owner was from Texas and kept it garaged. Not a speck of rust and all the hardware is like new. Nice clean anodized bolts and such. Makes it real easy to dissemble.

I plan to sort out the suspension, brakes and exhaust before I swap the drivetrain. I’ll have it on the road this week - though still with the 2.5L.

I honestly don’t know when I’ll next do any serious work on it.

My car hobby interests have changed – but I am going to put this together before I move on.

well if you ever wanna sell the engine and tranny please let me know. I'm not like most guys on here, I wanna keep mine as stock as possible. But maybe one day i'll buy a contour and put a 3L in it, but i don't wanna put one in my first svt.

My car hobby interests have changed – but I am going to put this together before I move on.

Jed, for the good of your poor lonely car, please let me buy it and take over this project. You have too many goodies to be sitting around. ;) Or just build your barn out back and get it done because we have all been waiting too long with this tease! :(

Back