• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Speedometer weirdness...

seabass_00svt

CEG'er
So i'm sitting at a red light and all the sudden my speedometer needle starts moving quickly up and down from resting to about 15 mph....I revved to 1500 rpms and it went even faster...
after i left the light it was functioning normally...has only done this twice....no other major problems besides a constantly returning EGR CEL...
anybody know about this kind of problem??

So i'm sitting at a red light and all the sudden my speedometer needle starts moving quickly up and down from resting to about 15 mph....I revved to 1500 rpms and it went even faster...
after i left the light it was functioning normally...has only done this twice....no other major problems besides a constantly returning EGR CEL...
anybody know about this kind of problem??

Either the battery is about to go flat or the Vehicle Speed Sensor is about to break.

Test the battery. If battery tests out fine, I suggest you change the VSS before it breaks and drops into the tranny.

Edit.

Start by charging the battery well. Then test the battery and alternator.

Charge the battery well, then test battery and alternator.

Battery test. Engine off, headlights on for one minute. Voltage across battery terminals should be 12 to 12.5.

Alternator test. Engine running, voltage across battery terminals should be 14 to 14.5.

Read this thread for VSS. Note that symptoms for manual is a little different for automatics. But process for changing is similar. Part number needs to be confirmed at www.teamfordparts.com

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=1816&highlight=vehicle+speed+sensor

Last edited:
i have been having some battery problems...
the battery is fully charged but one of the leads is somehow not getting a good connection even though it is snug against the terminal...

so if i run over a hard bump with cruise control on some dash lights come on (just gas empty,seatbelt,abs for 2 seconds) no oil or other bad lights...and also the the dummy light next to the contour symbol on the dash over the radio comes on for 5 seconds....only happens on cruise control...very infrequently like once a month...

i have been having some battery problems...
the battery is fully charged but one of the leads is somehow not getting a good connection even though it is snug against the terminal...

so if i run over a hard bump with cruise control on some dash lights come on (just gas empty,seatbelt,abs for 2 seconds) no oil or other bad lights...and also the the dummy light next to the contour symbol on the dash over the radio comes on for 5 seconds....only happens on cruise control...very infrequently like once a month...

Yep, that will do it. Need to fix the battery cable. Probably corrosion. Clean with baking soda solution. Then tighten clamps.

thanks bro...

those were some lightning fast replies....will try the fix tonight...

got any miracle fixes for the EGR?...jk....probably should just get a new EGR valve..

I had similar exerience.

Speedometer & odometer behaved very strangely. The needle was all over the place. When driving over the bump, ABS light came up. After a short distance, it would come off, often came together with a sudden hard brake (not by myself) then became normal again. Then the starter would not start, and the security red LED on the dash blinked like crazy. All was cured after I detached the battery cables and reattached them firmly. After that, the symptons haven't shown again.

So like Tony said, check your battery connection first, and use soda powder to remove some oxidation on the contact if needed.

the code is p407 no egr flow....i can drive forever without throwing a CEL unless i bog the motor (below 2000rpm accelerating) the second i bog the motor it throws the code...someone said something about carbon buildup blocking the valve...i have cleaned the EGR valve twice...the crazy thing is as long as i keep the revs up it'll go for more than a month after resetting the code...

but then always when i go to my parents house and its raining on a dirt road...i drive super slow....and within a minute the CEL comes on....

By "carbon blocking the valve", they aren't referring to cleaning the actual EGR, you know that, right?

Remove the TB, and clean the small passage that runs out towards the firewall. That is your EGR passage.

I searched this thread cause I was having the exact smae problem, the car sat all day saturday and i drove it sunday afternoon. I got to the stop light at the end of my road and the speedo needle was dancing all up in down. I get to where im going (high way drive) And it was still doing it. restarted, maybe did it once and hasent yet again, even after sitting over last night. Checked the battery (after It stopped doing it.) that was fine and then the alternator, that was fine too. should I be concerned? or waut and do it again. It a 2000 CSVT with 57000 miles. SHould I be concerned with the VSS? I plan on cleaning up the terminals today.

.... It a 2000 CSVT with 57000 miles. SHould I be concerned with the VSS? I plan on cleaning up the terminals today.
If the battery, terminals and alternator check out fine, check the wiring. If all those check out fine, I would be very concerned. The VSS is failing and some have reported that for the MTX, some have had their VSS break and fall into the transmission. That is not something you want to deal with.

I will do the terminals, but i wont know if that is it until it happens again i guess.
Jack up the car and place on jackstands. Then go under and see if the wiring from the VSS to PCM, VSS to MAF and VSS to Power Steering (??? I think that is the power source) are flaking or chaffed.

Well I got under the car last night, took a alittle bit to find (in slightly different position then the pic) every thing looked really well, all the black insulation was still shiney and flexiable. Then when i go to work, needle started bouncing again!

Well I got under the car last night, took a alittle bit to find (in slightly different position then the pic) every thing looked really well, all the black insulation was still shiney and flexiable. Then when i go to work, needle started bouncing again!

You need a new VSS.

Back