• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MSDS header experience, with before and after sound clips

rollinstylee

Hard-core CEG'er
I just finished installing my MSDS headers and wanted to share some notes on my experience because I liked reading other people's comments on the procedure when I was getting myself mentally prepared to do this. I also have some videos of direct before and after sound comparison with this mod alone, since I'm not sure if such a thing has been posted before. And if it has, well here's another example.

First for the notes:

1) PB Blaster is indeed your friend. Don't try to break any of the nuts in this operation loose without first letting PB Blaster soak on them for at least a couple hours. On the front manifold, I couldn't see the top studs at first so I didn't hit them with PB, then when I got around to trying to break them loose, I was putting so much torque on the ratchet I was afraid of snapping the stud. I hit them with PB from ABOVE when I realized you could get a clear shot at them in between the coolant hoses and then they broke loose with a more reasonable amount of torque.

2) I don't care what everyone says, the rear manifold is easy. Every single bolt is accessible with a ratchet, several extensions put together, and ONE SINGLE U-JOINT. Note, however, I was using swivel extensions which allowed some directional play. Still, I believe you could do it with non-swiveling extensions and only one U-joint.

3) NOTHING other than the Y-pipe with cat pipe, splash shield, and oil filter need to be removed from underneath the car. No alternator, intermediate shaft, radiator, fan shroud, NOTHING ELSE. I didn't touch any of these things and made it through fine.

4) Flex head gear wrenches are NOT necessary. I've seen several people say this install is practically impossible without them, and I will say that is very untrue. I did the entire installation with only ratchets, extensions, and sockets, with the exception of one front header nut (top middle) which I could only get with a regular old open ended 13mm wrench.

5) The bank 1 upstream oxygen sensor CAN be removed from underneath the car quite easily unlike what I have read in a thread dedicated to this topic, as well as in Tourige's header how-to. Just use an O2 sensor socket and a ratchet, fairly roomy access once the Y-pipe is gone. You could even put a pipe on the ratchet going over the subframe for extra leverage if it's really stuck. Luckily mine wasn't.

6) All the rear studs can go back in before the rear header is installed. Unlike with the stock manifold, there is room to slide the header on and off the studs. This makes hanging the rear easier if you put the studs back in first.

7) In the exactly opposite fashion, the front studs DO NOT need to come out to get the front manifold off, but they DO need to come out until you have the header in place if you do not drop the radiator (I contend that removing the studs is easier than dropping the radiator). Unlike the rear, the front header is actually "deeper" where it matters and provides less clearance to the cooling fans. Knowing this would have saved me some time and paint scratches to my header.

Those are the main things I can think of that I wanted to share, I'll add more if I remember anything. Feel free to turn this into a helpful hints thread for advice you haven't seen anyone else mention.

Now here's sound clips of before and after the installation. The first was right after I got the car so the only performance mod was a K&N drop-in filter. The second is a few days ago before I started, and at that point the only potentially sound-altering additional mod was an optimized throttle body. There's bonus moosing footage that one.

Totally stock except K&N drop-in:

WARNING: EXTREMELY ANTI-CLIMACTIC!!!

After MSDS install, everything aft of headers is stock:

Guess what my next mod needs to be? :eek: Damn cold intake...these vids are literally only like the 3rd and 4th time it's done that.

Oh, I forgot to add my first listening/driving impressions. Well, the sound difference isn't as pronounced as I had expected, probably due to everything behind the headers still being stock. However, the exhaust note is definitely deeper and throatier with more bass. I don't know how well that comes through to an unbiased listener in the videos. Actual volume isn't increased much. There is definitely more rumble at idle, sort of a low gurgling growl. Sounds cool and is a little more prominent now. When cold it obviously rasps as seen in the videos but when warm it's a very smooth and mellifluous snarl.

Power increase also isn't as startling as I expected but still definitely noticeable. I couldn't feel much difference in low rpm torque but midrange is definitely punchier and it pulls like a mule past 4K.

Overall definitely worth the trouble, but even more so probably with an optimized Y and cat-back (anyone want to sell me a Y? :shrug:).

well thats why the hp isnt what you expected,your missing the ypipe. thats were half the whp gains come from. do that,uncork the exhaust by removing the restrictive resonator and enjoy:laugh:

wow since i havent had my car in such a long time i totally forgot about the "moosing".........i miss it can't wait to start hearing it again soon!!!!! :crazy: very nice sounding set-up, i plan on doing that eventually, headers, y-pipe, and exhaust

Very good write up. I can't wait to get mine installed. What did you end up using to coat them anyway

Cool man, im after all the information I can find so that I dont suffer too much when I get MSDS headers.

How long did it take you? Jack stands?

Very good write up. I can't wait to get mine installed. What did you end up using to coat them anyway
As I said in the CapCEG thread and you responded to (forgetful are we? :laugh:) Duplicolor high heat ceramic coating, silver. Two coat & bake sessions.

Cool man, im after all the information I can find so that I dont suffer too much when I get MSDS headers.

How long did it take you? Jack stands?
Yes, I did it all on jack stands. Hopefully you have a creeper! It's hard to say how long it took because I worked a couple hours at a time over a few days and didn't really keep track, but I would estimate it was more than 12 hours total from jacking the car to letting it down. I was working really slowly and carefully so I didn't get tired and completely by myself though.

As I said in the CapCEG thread and you responded to (forgetful are we? :laugh:) Duplicolor high heat ceramic coating, silver. Two coat & bake sessions.

Yes, I did it all on jack stands. Hopefully you have a creeper! It's hard to say how long it took because I worked a couple hours at a time over a few days and didn't really keep track, but I would estimate it was more than 12 hours total from jacking the car to letting it down. I was working really slowly and carefully so I didn't get tired and completely by myself though.

A creeper? Whats a creeper? :eek:

Im actually going to pick up some Rhino ramps I think. Seems like it could save a little time and make all kinds of work a little more convenient.

Hoping to do what you did with spacing it out over a day or two. I would like to take pictures of the whole process (has anyone done this?), but when it comes down to it I figure I'll be more interested in just getting the thing done.. :p

Yeah I considered taking pictures throughout the process, even if for no reason other than to prove how spotless my block and heads are if I ever need to sell it. But once you get into the ordeal, pictures fall pretty low as a priority. Plus my camera is refusing to turn on at the moment, that didn't help either. :blackeye:

I've done this twice, the first time (on my car) I worked a couple hours at a time, when I had the time. Made it nice and smooth when I wasn't rushed to get it all done. The second time (on TeamSVTtour's) we did it all in a weekend, would have gone faster but we had a little spark plug issue. :laugh: There is something to be said for tearing it all down and getting it back together all in two days, but a few more breaks would have been nice, also.

I did remove my radiator and fans, but it was so that I could get to a bolt that had stripped. I myself don't mind removing anything in the way, I just think it might take longer, but for me it's ultimately easier. Nice work on the install. :cool:

3) NOTHING other than the Y-pipe with cat pipe, splash shield, and oil filter need to be removed from underneath the car. No alternator, intermediate shaft, radiator, fan shroud, NOTHING ELSE. I didn't touch any of these things and made it through fine.

I have to remove my oil filter? It's really in the way that much?
And to think that I just changed my oil :blackeye:

For a cheap hp mod, and a bit louder sound, just gut the main cat, and put it back in, it's easy. I'm currently running a 3.0 with headers, and the stock exhust with no pre-cats, and a gutted main cat. It has a nice sound. A bit of a rasp with a quick rev, but not too bad. It's really growing on me. Did I mention the hp gain? I felt it at first, I'm kinda used to it now. But it did help. And since it still has the stock muffler and resonators, the sound is still very nice. Has anyone else done this?

I have to remove my oil filter? It's really in the way that much?
And to think that I just changed my oil :blackeye:
Yes. Have you looked/tried to look up at the manifold studs with the filter in place? Even if you could get the nuts and studs out I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to drop the mani or get the header past it. Def. not with the rad and fans in place. If your car is on stands tilted back and it's been sitting for a while, and you don't pour the oil out of the filter you'll lose less than a quart. I only added half a quart after all was said and done and I still ended up adding more than I had lost.

For a cheap hp mod, and a bit louder sound, just gut the main cat, and put it back in, it's easy. I'm currently running a 3.0 with headers, and the stock exhust with no pre-cats, and a gutted main cat. It has a nice sound. A bit of a rasp with a quick rev, but not too bad. It's really growing on me. Did I mention the hp gain? I felt it at first, I'm kinda used to it now. But it did help. And since it still has the stock muffler and resonators, the sound is still very nice. Has anyone else done this?
Some of us would like to still be able to POTENTIALLY pass emissions if we ever needed to. I was even a little apprehensive about the headers, but since my precats were already bad I figured I had nothing to lose.

Some of us would like to still be able to POTENTIALLY pass emissions if we ever needed to. I was even a little apprehensive about the headers, but since my precats were already bad I figured I had nothing to lose.

Some of us will put cats in if we EVER need to in the future, to pass emmisions. :rolleyes:

Granted.

Although I think on this particular exhaust, the Y-pipe and resonator have been identified as the more restrictive parts of the stock exhaust after the manifolds. I would personally address those before gutting the main cat, although your point about the price and ease are valid.

Granted.

Although I think on this particular exhaust, the Y-pipe and resonator have been identified as the more restrictive parts of the stock exhaust after the manifolds. I would personally address those before gutting the main cat, although your point about the price and ease are valid.

Honestly, gutting the cat was like taking the cork out of the bottle. I'll post up some dyno numbers in a few weeks, and we'll see if it makes a decent number.

Sounds great! Im thinking about getting these too! How much and where did you get them?

Last edited:
Back