• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Completely random: turns over but won't start

trasko

New CEG'er
1997 Contour 2.5L Duratec

When I try to start her, it turns the engine over strongly -- feels like plenty of juice from the battery (I tried with a jump, too -- same thing happens). It turns, turns, turns, shudder, turns, turns, turns, shudder, cough, turn, turn... It sounds like it really wants to catch but it just won't.

Things I checked:
- verified I actually had gas; gauge measures 1/3 tank (right where it should be)
- I hear the fuel pump turn on...
- like I said, got a jump to make sure the battery wasn't the issue
- checked all the fuses under the hood

This problem is *COMPLETELY* random. I've had the car since mid-1999 and not once has it ever left me stranded or failed to start. I am actually getting ready to sell it -- perhaps it is pissed. :laugh:

I had it parked in the driveway, which is decently steep with the front on the uphill side for a few days while I cleaned it out, etc. I took it to the car wash, came back and parked it the same way... Left it there for a couple of days and then needed to move it out of the driveway. I turned it on, didn't wait for it to warm up (prolly 55F outside) and drove it about 30 yards away and parked it. It is parked on a pretty steep down slope (front is on the downhill side now). I left it there for a couple of days and when I went back to drive it -- bam -- no go. It has been that way for 2 days. There was no indication that anything was amiss before it did this.

I found that the positive battery terminal clamp assembly was cracked and loose so I replaced it thinking that must be it because I had never seen that before and I am in there pretty often. Nope. No change. The only thing different is the car wash (which it hasn't seen it years -- ha) and parking on a downhill slope, which I haven't done in 3+ months.

Any clue? What should I try first? I read some posts here about hard-starting in cold weather, but the coldest we've been seeing is 40-45F.

Grrr, right when I finally get around to selling her... :crazy:

~trasko

Does the engine sound like it is turning over very fast? Maybe the cylinders have "washed out". Try stepping on the accelerator all the way down. This closes off the fuel injectors. If that doesn't help, try removing two spark plugs, putting one or two teaspoons of oil in each of the cylinder, then reinstall and try cranking again (with gas pedal all the way down).

Awesome, I'm gonna go try this right now.

What does "washed out" mean? And why would putting some oil in the cylinder help? I've seen this recommended a few times and I don't know the background. That's not gonna stop me from trying right now, though :laugh:

~trasko

Ok, that's amazing. I put it to the floor and it fired right up. It ran rough for about 15 seconds, but it'll do that sometimes if it is really cold out (it's prolly 35F now). All is well now.

Now what the hell just happened? Why did that work?

~trasko

Ok, that's amazing. I put it to the floor and it fired right up. ........Now what the hell just happened? Why did that work?

~trasko

If you read my replies to your posts, :shrug:

The cylinders "washed out". A lot of gasoline, no oil, no compression. Stepping the gas pedal all the way down shuts off the fuel injectors and no more gas is sent to the cylinders. When there is too much gasoline, the spark will not cause combustion (explosion in the cylinder). In addition, the non-compression also makes it not within the range for combustion.

An older engine is more prone to this as the piston rings are worn out.

Glad it worked out for you. :cool:

Last edited:
Back