• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Flame if you must, but this is my prototype

Okay,

So, I've proposed driving a blower off of the cam in the past, to mixed reviews. Well that's a lie, the responses were all bad. Now I've gone ahead anyway, and am waiting for a disaster. So far no disaster.

Here's what I've done, I have a powerdyne BD11 (sealed selfcontained belt drive) being driven off of a custom mounted cog drive.

Some initial pain,
The drive system caused the water pump drive pulley to 'wander' closer to the engine - corrected

I think that the pressed on pulley (for which the cog pulley is mounted to) may be slipping I'll have to check this by marking the pulley and the drive shaft, to see if it is actually slipping. I'm going to put a couple self tappers into the pulley and cam shaft to keep her still.

Here's a video I made last night of the blower spinning, it's got a little shake and I need to reinforce the blower mount.

http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n91/pmaropak/?action=view&current=PC080045.flv

Let the dis'n begin!!!

Last edited:
I think the issues were that the cam wouldn't be able to withstand the belt tension needed to spin a blower. A cog setup is not very forgiving. At least with a ribbed belt you are allowed some slip.

Will keep you all posted

Will keep you all posted

The big challenge is the fact that this is my daily driver, meaning every job has to be completed incrementally,I can't just allocate 3 days to the work.

Should be a couple of weeks before I get the intake completed.

let me know if you have any questions.

My money is on the internal belt destroying itself. I cant fathom why anyone would design a blower with an internal belt drive. It will probably make 5 psi for a good 3 seconds.

My money is on the internal belt destroying itself. I cant fathom why anyone would design a blower with an internal belt drive. It will probably make 5 psi for a good 3 seconds.

right.

Just like external supercharger belts only work for 3 second right?

powerdyne's internal system works really well. hell, the pile of aluminum i used to call a thomas knight blower had the same system without the casing. all of that worked perfectly. the only issue is the bearings in the compressor housing. those fail after about 3 days ;)

Update

Update

I noticed some knocking upon hard acceleration and I thought it was the water pump drive pulley slipping. I took the supercharger drive system off and it was still there, I even took the water pump drive belt off and it was still there. I noticed it under forward acceleration, and I don't believe it happens in reverse.

under closer inspection, I see that there is virtually no clearance between the intake port of the SC and the ac condenser. I suspect in the lower gears that I'm tapping on the condenser, it does not have the same issues deeper into the RPM's and gears.

I looked at my engine mounts and they look full of holes. I suspect a replacement with polyurethane is in order.

Maybe you know this already but your engine mounts are supposed to have a swiss cheese like appearance with holes. If they are falling apart and larger chunks are missing then you may need new ones.

Last edited:
How much boost are you looking to get from this setup?

I am guessing you will fail the cam prematurely. I have no evidence for this, but the cam wasn't designed for the torque the blower will apply to it.

Good luck though. I hope it does work for you.

I also looked into using the same drive for a SC. The cam is spinning half engine speed, so you additionally have to make that up to reach the SC speed. The load in the gearing made this fearful to a popular SC builder I spoke to about this. I'd eliminated more belts by considering the Rotrex (beltless) approach coupled onto the end of the cam. Certainly consideration is needed to expect the cam to endure this much more torque loading. Don't want to break the limited number of SVT cams left in the world.
I'd like to see you sucessful. I didn't want to guinie pig my parts, and as a sidebar... I didn't intend to make huge pressure, just 5 to 7 more.

Gar

The big challenge is the fact that this is my daily driver, meaning every job has to be completed incrementally,I can't just allocate 3 days to the work.

ok I guess thats the part of this project that scares me. I wish you the best of luck with it and really hope this doesnt affect your ability to get to/from work.

Back