• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

God Damn ice.... hurt #1119

S2Knott

Hard-core CEG'er
this sucks, 2 day ago, it was a day after a snow storm then it rained abit so everything was icy as hell.... i was dropping this girl off, and having some fun sliding around. i went around this one corner at about 20 mph i lost traction and went straight into a curb at about 15mph, hit the back right rim and destroyed it. the worst part is i had an already slightly bent control, and when it took the impact the control arm buckled in half... so my right rear tire is pointed about 45 degrees out and the car is un driveable.... i drove 2 miles to my apartment averaging 3mph dogtracking like a mother F$$$$. this sucks!

anyways, when changing a control arm on the csvt is it pretty straight forward, just undo the bolts, bolt it up and then torque them down or what?

I haven't taken mine out but I'm pretty sure its just two bolts, one at each end. I removed the one near the outside of the car for my suspension install, the that's inside the rear subframe might be a little tricky to get a lot of leverage on, but either way it is straight forward what you need to do, not sure if you'll need an alignment after though, but it's probably not a bad idea to check it out since you nailed the curb pretty good.

flamewar.gif

cannondale i think i owe you five bucks, i said it would be in the first 6 months, you said the second 6:crazy:

Last edited:
I am sure that the prebend control arm didn't help things at all ... :nonono:

don't forget to have an alignment done after you replace the control arm

don't you have to drop the subframe to replace the LCA? Or don't you have to get at the bolts from the top, which kinda sucks?

don't you have to drop the subframe to replace the LCA? Or don't you have to get at the bolts from the top, which kinda sucks?

on the front you have the option of cutting the bolt(s) under the trans or dropping the subframe to replace the arms.

the rear arms, which is what bent in this case can be done without dropping the subframe as the bolts are parallel to the ground

ahhh :troutslap: for not reading the thread thoroughly. I know when I slid into a curb last winter, the shop I brought my car to was not thrilled about the work it took to replace the bent LCA.

Reminder: don't go around a corner, downhill, with a pitch, in fresh snow, on all seasons. I was going like 3mph too. It sucked.

I pulled the same thing in my Mystique. I had to get the right rear spindle replaced and I still had 3° of negative camber that made the car quite unstable in slick conditions.

what other damages could i be looking at? could the strut be damaged?

i will have the 2 control arms tommorow from bill jenkins, and they are going on thurs. night hopefully although we are supposed to get 6 inches of snow so i dunno whats going to happen.

ok thanks.

UPDATE: might not be able to fix this week, i was going to see my buddy after hours at a dealership to fix it, but we are supposed to get 8-10 inches of snow tommorow, the dealership will not be open late for open shop, so i dont know when ill be able to get it fixed.

Back