• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stalling/Bogging in the winter

fordcupcar

CEG'er
With this new cold weather in wisconsin, I've come to nice my SVT wants to stall in the winter when coming to a stop. I was thinking it was problem just a loss of power due to the brake booster and heat/defrost running. However if anyone has any tips or advice of what I can do to correct this, please let me know.

Doesn't stall all the time, mostly under hard(er) braking, but once in a while even when I bring her down slow. I'd prefer not to have to worry about it stalling during the rest of winter. Really a pain.

-fordcupcar

125k?

I have bit of throttle hang issue - so back in october I took it out and cleaned it and tested it. Seemed fine at the time, maybe I screwed something up?

Aren't IAC valves upwards of 100$? I'm really not looking to spend that much unless I'm 100% sure thats the issue.

Yeah there arnt cheap, I worked on a navigator that didnt hold and idle at all and would stall everytime, so I tapped on the iac and it started to idle normally. It kind of worked out for me lol. Try bagging on it and see if it makes a difference.

Go to Advance or Autozone and get the CEL codes read (free service) and then post the exact codes here. In addition, put a bottle of HEET (gas stabilizer) in the gas tank and see if it helps.

Aren't IAC valves upwards of 100$? I'm really not looking to spend that much unless I'm 100% sure thats the issue.

I've had a lot of luck in the past with cleaning the IAC and putting it back on. They get gunked up then can't adjust the idle right.

It only costs a bottle of carb cleaner to try it. Might as well. If it doesn't work then buy a new IAC.

I notice this issue ESPECIALLY when down-shifting. I already tried cleaning my IAC, that might have even caused this issue. CEL is on, but last time I checked it was O2 sensor. Haven't had the time to change that yet, but if it could be attributing to it I definatley will. Otherwise I'll try to get my way out to autozone this weekend. Thanks for the tips all, keep them coming.

some iac's i've cleaned have actaully become worse afterwards...you might just have to nut and buy the part..if your that cheap/broke/poor go to a junkyard and buy a used for 2-3 dollars. or just live w/the problem since you dont want to/or cant afford to spend money to correct it:shrug: thats just my humble opinion and two cents:cool:

idle speed control, contour, mystique, 2.5l, to 5/3/99 96-99 $103.68 $64.28
Fuel system - Fuel induction - Fuel injection - Idle speed control
Couldn't find anything for idle air control valve on teamfordparts.com, but is this idle speed control the same part?

And, don't get me wrong, Its not that I am too cheap to fix it, it's that if the IAC wasn't causing the issue I would rather start from square 1 than shell out 70$ right away.

Thanks as always

-fordcupcar

Just to throw in my experience - when I fixed my moose with a copper pipe cap, I noticed that the car wanted to stall a lot when revs came down. I changed the size of the hole in the cap and it is better but still wants to stall right on startup if I'm not paying attention. Not sure if it's what you might be experiencing or not.

idle speed control, contour, mystique, 2.5l, to 5/3/99 96-99 $103.68 $64.28
Fuel system - Fuel induction - Fuel injection - Idle speed control
Couldn't find anything for idle air control valve on teamfordparts.com, but is this idle speed control the same part?

And, don't get me wrong, Its not that I am too cheap to fix it, it's that if the IAC wasn't causing the issue I would rather start from square 1 than shell out 70$ right away.

Thanks as always

-fordcupcar

bump.

If you want a new IAC (OEM part) go to www.directfordparts.com. I just replaced mine last year (about $55 or so) and thier very reasonable compared to buying one at the dealer (which is about $100). I've run into the stalling again this year as last and replaced the IAC again since it worked last time but it didn't fix it this time. I too live in WI, Northwestern part of the state. Let me know if you find a solution.

I have a similar problem. My car stalls when it slows down, BUT I notice a pattern. It usually stalls when I have the shifter put in neutral and I hold the clutch down. It usually happens when I come down from 60mph to a full stop.
I have replaced in the last month the iac , o2 sensor, coil pack, spurk plugs, wires. I still have 2 codes, which are PO174, 455. I was told to replace another o2 sensor.

i'm pulling both 171 and 174 (too lean banks 1 and 2)

outlawdsvt and i pulled off my IAC and cleaned it saturday, but it only got worse. my car wants to stall every time i come to stop now. i'm going to go ahead and replace the fuel filter and IAC this weekend. hoping i can snag the part for under $100 at auto zone or advanced auto.

The last time I got both P0171 and P0174 at the same time was when one of my vacuum hoses were broken. I could hear a hissing sound and the car would stall on a turn. Check for a loose air filter housing, MAF housing,etc.

The last time I got both P0171 and P0174 at the same time was when one of my vacuum hoses were broken. I could hear a hissing sound and the car would stall on a turn. Check for a loose air filter housing, MAF housing,etc.

+1 Tony

I just had the same problem, turned out to be a vacuum hose came lose.

Back