• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Non-starting '98 Contour.why?

jimjam63

New CEG'er
Hi,
I just acquired a 1998 Contour SE with 72,000 miles, V6 and a stickshift. It's never been in an accident or in a flood. I should note that it has been sitting for almost a year. Here's a list of troubleshooting performed---

1. I tested the ignition by running engine with starting fluid for a
few seconds.

2. Check engine lamp seems to be slightly illuminated but when we
checked with a code reader there was no fault.

3. While cranking the engine, the code reader had a message "misfire
detected".

4. Fuel pressure is ok while fuel pump relay is "jumped" on.
4a Fuel pump turns on for a second when key is turned to on position.
4b Fuel pump relay does not stay on while cranking the engine.

5. Engine will not run even with fuel pump "jumped" on while cranking.

6. Crank and cam sensors both pulled and cleaned, looked fine.

It really sounds like it wants to start and run on it's own, kind of like a timing issue or maybe a fuel injection problem. I can't afford to waste anymore time guessing, can one of you please :help: me out.

I did spend a couple hours going through the CEG forums the last week or so and there's some great information there, just not enough to start this car!

CE light comes on when the computer comes alive. Light goes out when it gets the trigger signal from the crank sensor when turning the engine over.

Did it actually run on the starting fluid? It could be you have flooded the engine with gas, see if a sparkplug is wet (an easy to get at one). How much gas is in the tank?

On that note.. how old is the gas? and was the fuel filter changed?

The gas is almost a year old. And I have good steady fuel pressure, so it shouldn't be the filter, should it? I did a little more research, and I think it's my PATS- I don't have any factory keys for the car. So I need to know how to reset,clear or bypass the system and start my freakin' car. Anyone know the secret?

You are going to need the keys, unless you want to put a carb on it!
I'm having some PATS complications myself at the moment. Maybe you can get some keys made for it.

Why would you think its the PATS?

What, in your research, would suggest that?

PS. the PATS system DISABLES the starter when there is a problem. It doesn't disable the engine from STARTING.. it disables the starter itself!!!!!

If your car turns over at all.. your PATS is fine.
Maybe do a little more research, and start by changing the year old gas and filter. steady pressure means nothing. it just takes LONGER to build pressure though, through the crap in the filter.

Regardless, a year old, it needs changed either way, along with the gas!

Thanks Ray. But I like OB1's reply........................................
The reason the engine turns over is because I JUMPED THE RELAY CIRCUIT. The starter didn't even 'click' much less turn over when I first started to work on this thing. And don't you need a "coded" key to start the car? I DONT HAVE ONE. As far as pressure goes, it's instant. So I doubt there's too much wrong there. But what do I know? If I knew anything I wouldn't be here, I guess!?

jumping ANY relay wouldn't start the car, if there were a PATS issue. It would disable the starter, the fuel, and (IIRC???? ) the spark!

Are you getting a PATS code flashing on the dash in the PATS led?

Pats

Pats

My automatic Mystique LS with PATS just flashes the PATS LED if a non-pats key is used to attempt starting, no starter turnover at all. The earlier production 1998 (1998 Contour/Mystique built before 2/1/1998 (Kansas City) or 2/16/1998 Contour/Mystique (Cuautitlan) PATS cars allow you to add a key easily, which I did immediately after buying my car. Later production (on/after 2/1/98) have Type E, looks less easy to deal with. Take a look at this PATS TSB from V8SHO: PATS TSB I would prepare to tow vehicle to local Ford dealer so they can make you some PATS keys and reset the PCM/PATS system. Unless there is a better way...

I'll have to check that out....................... O.K.,the LED flashes about once every second; until I turn the key to start it.........then it flashes realy fast,like 5 times a second.
And I just double checked the keys.....they do say PATS on them, so I guess I just need to recode the system? (It does have a new battery since the old one was dead when I got the car last week.)

yes if the light is flashing with the key in the on position and during crank the keys need to be reprogramed. you need 2 good keys to program a key or take it to the dealer. And it sounds like you need to take it to the dealer as stated.

There has been alot of this going around lately. My bothers car & Strothers car both were sent to the dealer w/ no luck. I hope you fair better than us.

Do you mean they couldn't reprogam the key, or they couldn't get it started? Because there's no way in hell I'm paying them to tell me I'm screwed. My wife will do that for nothin'!
Well I appreciate your input........as well as everyone elses(is that even a word?). I'm not giving up, I just got started. Ha!......... Pun Intended.

On my brothers car the pats or the keys wouldn't hold the program. They could get it to start once & then when they shut it off it wouldn't restart. Since your car has been out of commission for a while It probably just needs a reprogram, That is if your PATS light is flashing like crazy while trying to start. It will also flash a code so you might just want to turn your key to the on position & see if you can count the flashes. It will flash then there is a pause then it will flash some more. take this 2- digit code & start from there. I was getting a code 16.
Again I say good luck.

Back