• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

JET Chip woes

Blkdvll

CEG'er
Purchased a used but new Jet chip off the boards. After I install it the tour doesn't start. Remove and it does. I called the tech line to verify it is in fact the correct chip, it is. They told me there is a protective film on the PCM port and that I need to rub it off with a scotch bright pad.

I did what they told me to but car still doesn't start with the chip installed. Does anyone have any information on this "protective film"? Am I not removing it all?

still sounds like the wrong one to me

also you will see more gains by getting an xcal2 with a good tune from nautilus performance

Does anyone have any information on this "protective film"? Am I not removing it all?

You would know if you're removing it; the whole circuitboard is coated in what looks like a hardened clear glue. You need to remove the stuff from around the side pins that the chip connects through.

His Sig says '98.. but it also says "new 2.5L" perhaps he has a later model SVT engine/computer?

Purchased a used but new Jet chip off the boards. After I install it the tour doesn't start. Remove and it does. I called the tech line to verify it is in fact the correct chip, it is. They told me there is a protective film on the PCM port and that I need to rub it off with a scotch bright pad.

I did what they told me to but car still doesn't start with the chip installed. Does anyone have any information on this "protective film"? Am I not removing it all?

I have one also, and had the same problem...the copper needs to show before the chip will make a connection with the port...and remove the pcm so you can do it properly.

Last edited:
I have one also, and had the same problem...the copper needs to show before the chip will make a connection with the port.

Thats my problem then. I have no copper showing on the top, have to get a mirror to see the bottom. Thanks!

Any suggestions how to get in there to get it off? My fingers are too fat.

^^^ exactaly!!! you need to use like a eraser or green scrubby pad to get the wax coating off both sides

I pulled out the PCM on my lunch break today, and took it apart. From the looks of it, the previous owner at one point had a chip for it. All the silicone glue was already pulled off. Did a quick scrub anyways, and cleaned everything. The SVT still doesn't run with the chip installed.

I had the same problem with mine, the problem is there needs to be really good contact, and I mean really good contact or it will not run. The stupid thing would come loose on me and the car wouldn't start and I would have to fool with it :mad: . also be prewarned do not mess with it with keys in or near the ignition or it messes up the anti-theft and the car will not start period!! I had to get towed to the dealer and have the keys and the computer reflashed. I lossed power on the dyno ran to rich air/fuel way off they program to conservative.I junked the stupid chip and had a dyno tune done, off the shelf chips suck. go with Brians advice you will love the gains.

I had the same problem with mine, the problem is there needs to be really good contact, and I mean really good contact or it will not run. The stupid thing would come loose on me and the car wouldn't start and I would have to fool with it :mad: . also be prewarned do not mess with it with keys in or near the ignition or it messes up the anti-theft and the car will not start period!! I had to get towed to the dealer and have the keys and the computer reflashed. I lossed power on the dyno ran to rich air/fuel way off they program to conservative.I junked the stupid chip and had a dyno tune done, off the shelf chips suck. go with Brians advice you will love the gains.

Unfortunately I can't afford the $300+ XCal plus a tune.

You guys say the end of the PCM where the chip plugs in has copper connectors. Mine almost looks like all the copper has been rubbed off to reveal what looks like tin....

Unfortunately I can't afford the $300+ XCal plus a tune.

You guys say the end of the PCM where the chip plugs in has copper connectors. Mine almost looks like all the copper has been rubbed off to reveal what looks like tin....

well then wait you are waisting your time. do a search probally on the old forums, no gains with the jet chip on an svt. you are going to end up with more problems than you bargained for. if that thing looses contact while you are driving you are going to cut out and if it arcs out you could short out your pcm thats why when you are plugging it in or messing with it per instructions you need to disconnect the battery. I'm trying to help you from experience with a jet chip ,I had no problems with contacts and it still gave me problems but hey I'm just trying to help.

well then wait you are waisting your time. do a search probally on the old forums, no gains with the jet chip on an svt. you are going to end up with more problems than you bargained for. if that thing looses contact while you are driving you are going to cut out and if it arcs out you could short out your pcm thats why when you are plugging it in or messing with it per instructions you need to disconnect the battery. I'm trying to help you from experience with a jet chip ,I had no problems with contacts and it still gave me problems but hey I'm just trying to help.

tru dat. junk that chip. its garbage! No one uses it on this board and expects any gains. Trust me, i know. i owned one. had to sell it. if ur car starts without the chip, leave it alone. sell it, recoup some of ur mony n save up for a tune like some said earlier. :idea: i wonder if u can return it to jet n say it didnt work... seems feasible.

Back