• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clutch Replacement Experience

2kSVT

CEG'er
The clutch on my SVT is slipping, it started this morning. The car has 92,000 miles. I've owned it since about 40,000. I went to a small shop today and they said 200+ for the oem SVT clutch and about 600 or so for labor. My question..is there anyone near Dayton, Ohio that has experience changing these?? I would much rather pay a CEG'er cash than getting my head cracked by the shop. It would have to someone local as it is slipping as I accelerate in 4th/5th gear at highway speed. Hit me with a PM if one of you skilled guys want to help me save some cash! They are putting a LuK heavy duty clutch in the car.

Rod

Last edited:
The clutch on my SVT is slipping, it started this morning. The car has 92,000 miles. I've owned it since about 40,000. I went to a small shop today and they said 200+ for the oem SVT clutch and about 600 or so for labor. My question..is there anyone near Dayton, Ohio that has experience changing these?? I would much rather pay a CEG'er cash than getting my head cracked by the shop. It would have to someone local as it is slipping as I accelerate in 4th/5th gear at highway speed. Hit me with a PM if one of you skilled guys want to help me save some cash!

Rod

$800 for a new clutch installed and you arent jumping on it?!?!?

not many CEGers would do it for much less, and you would have to bring the car to one of us.

I know Jeff probably would do it, but im not going to speak for him, PM him, his user name is reebs.

Honestly $800 for a professionally installed Clutch is a good price... Did they say they would resurface the flywheel also?

They didn't say about resurfacing the flywheel. I thought 800 was high...but I've never replaced one! I try to do most of the repairs myself,but I know this one is out of my league. Thanks

Rod

for sure ill bet when they actually do the work it'll be more like 1 thousand

true, but how many people are willing to drive down to this guy's place and assume he has the right tools for the job?

He is going to have to get the car to someone's house to have the clutch installed, the only way this would be to his advantage is if he had the proper equipment to transport the car all the way up here, that is unless the car wont drive that far.

true, but how many people are willing to drive down to this guy's place and assume he has the right tools for the job?

He is going to have to get the car to someone's house to have the clutch installed, the only way this would be to his advantage is if he had the proper equipment to transport the car all the way up here, that is unless the car wont drive that far.

what the hell are you talking about? sometimes i think your on the WEED
who is talking about going to him? of course no one wants to do that!
im saying the shop he took it to will end up charging him more than 800 buy the time its said and done
and i personally woudnt do it for less than 800 bucks with me supplying parts and he would definatly have to bring the car to me
so obviously that shop is the place to go. just expect to pay a little more than what they originally said

Last edited:
OK, I just got a written quote from these guys. Here is a little background. I'm a cop in Dayton and this shop is in the district I work in. I have stopped in from time to time, as a couple of the young mechanics have boosted Hondas. They are going to do it in the shop on Saturday for a huge break in labor and parts at their cost. I also need a front passenger side wheel bearing replaced as well. They are going to do the bearing and clutch fro $850.00. So they do me a favor, I use there lot as a place to do paperwork after business hours. So we both win. I don't think it would make the trip up north as it went from getting soft to slipping in a 20 mile drive. I have to limp it to the shop Friday, should be done Saturday. Thanks for all the input. They are putting a Luk heavy duty clutch in the SVT.

Rod

Last edited:
I don't understand how they are getting any part of the deal, you're getting the good price, and using there parking lot? What do they get?

I don't understand how they are getting any part of the deal, you're getting the good price, and using there parking lot? What do they get?

they get a job,,,,, times are tuff
and they get a police officer that gives extra look out on there property
and probably wont give em a ticket if there hot rodding there hondas around:shrug:

Exactly bagged, I sit in their lot after business hours. You can't get better security than that. The business is in my beat to so I make a few extra passes through the lot. They did do me right. I reseaarched the LUK clutch, and they have been in business for 40+ years.

Rod

OK, I just got a written quote from these guys. Here is a little background. I'm a cop in Dayton and this shop is in the district I work in. I have stopped in from time to time, as a couple of the young mechanics have boosted Hondas. They are going to do it in the shop on Saturday for a huge break in labor and parts at their cost. I also need a front passenger side wheel bearing replaced as well. They are going to do the bearing and clutch fro $850.00. So they do me a favor, I use there lot as a place to do paperwork after business hours. So we both win. I don't think it would make the trip up north as it went from getting soft to slipping in a 20 mile drive. I have to limp it to the shop Friday, should be done Saturday. Thanks for all the input. They are putting a Luk heavy duty clutch in the SVT.

Rod

Sweet, a Dayton cop. Ive got family down past Dayton on 75. So I can count on a warning when you guys finally catch me hauling ass through there?:laugh::laugh:

Back