• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

gas with ethanol

Everything we get here is 10% ethanol. Mine has gone down a little - I get 23-24 now vs 25-26 with the old stuff.

Oh well.

Maybe it's a really sad attempt by the government to reduce our dependency on foreign oil and lower gas prices, since it would reduce the amount of gas use by 10%... :rolleyes: Not that gas prices have any real relation to demand, and it doesn't make a dent in our dependency.

Maybe it's a really sad attempt by the government to reduce our dependency on foreign oil and lower gas prices, since it would reduce the amount of gas use by 10%... :rolleyes: Not that gas prices have any real relation to demand, and it doesn't make a dent in our dependency.

It will not reduce the amount of gas used by 10%. Since my milage went from ~25mpg to ~20mpg, that is a ~25% decrease in fuel economy! I will end up having to buy more gas to go the same distance. Not to mention the fact that the energy expended to create the (Corn Based) ethonol is nearly equal to the amount of energy it produces when burned.

yea ethanol is crap, you get less power for more money... i think its just a big f-ing rip off :mad:

It will not reduce the amount of gas used by 10%. Since my milage went from ~25mpg to ~20mpg, that is a ~25% decrease in fuel economy! I will end up having to buy more gas to go the same distance. Not to mention the fact that the energy expended to create the (Corn Based) ethonol is nearly equal to the amount of energy it produces when burned.

Right, but on paper, it'll look like it's saving gas. Remember the government plans don't really function well except on paper.

Back