• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Guy

waldick

CEG'er
Just wanted to say hello. I'm a very new guy here. Last month my son and i swapped a motor out of a 99 Cougar ATX, so now he has a nice car. So now I'm starting a project of my own, a 98 SE 2.5, with a blown ATX. A friend of mine gave me a 95 SE a few weeks ago. I was going to fix it up, but it had took many problems once i got into it. CV boot clamps came off and tore the heck out of the p/s lines, cv joint shot, major intake vacuum leak (turned out to be the UIM), front and rear roll resistors shot, motor mount torn from front of tranny, wiring disintigrating just to name the major problems. I have puleed the engine which sounded fine when it ran and parted out most of the resr of the car.

But now i'm faced with the dillema...do i use the tranny i pulled from the 95, use bell housing off the 98 and hope for the best, or do find one at the local salvage yard ?

I have read some of the threads about tranny swaps, but can't really find one that explains the four varieties of ATX's or why they are or are not interchageable ....and since i'm too new, i can't post in the tranny section ...:mad:

Finally, i'm near Lima, Ohio and wondering if anyone on here lives near me...

Wish I could help more, but I don't know jack about the different ATX stuff, all of my contours have been MTX.

I'm up near Detroit, but do travel to Lima on occasion, I supply parts to Ford's engine plant there . . .

Wish I could help more, but I don't know jack about the different ATX stuff, all of my contours have been MTX.

I'm up near Detroit, but do travel to Lima on occasion, I supply parts to Ford's engine plant there . . .

i was just there today for a public hearing in the training center...cool place

hopefully somebody will know what to do...

Far from being an expert, but I've acquired some knowledge owning them. Never replaced one, so I'm not too knowledgable in that department. If I were you I would search extensively in the older forums.

Your best bet is to contact members Roadrunner or uniysis12. Philip (uniysis) is like a guru of the CD4E. IIRC, he replaced two himself. Also, Btrautman (I think). He had a detailed thread about his replacement. I think there's another guy on the Cougar forums that is quite knowledgeable about them, as well.

Also locally, not sure but I think Amarv replaced his ATX not too long ago. He may be another good source of info.

yeah, i looked at that thread i think it was brautman's and it was a little confusing...probably because i know nothing about ATX's. When i was much younger i rebuilt a few MTX's which is fairly simple compared to the the way an ATX looks to be...

i just thought that rebuilding an ATX might be kinda fun, but maybe the cost of the rebuilding kit and the pita, if i didn't do something right, of pulling the thing out again might just push me to a salvage ATX, which shouldn't be more than 400...

well, first things first. Gotta pull the old one first, which will hopefully happen this weekend...

Back