• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Locally Need an SVT Radiator

Jorgen

CEG'er
Well my SVT powered cougar over heated today so this confirms that I need an SVT radiator. Anyon locally have one forsale for a reasonable price. let me know.

It could be else where I guess but I don't deal with cooling systems so much, really it would make sense if it was else where as it was only like 55-65ish on my ride home when it over heated.

Any idea where else those problems could be? The coolant is brand new. The water pump and the T-Stat were not repalced when the engine was rebuilt and swapped into my car.

Shor Version: Nope didn't keep over heating on the rest of my drive home.

Long Version: Well story goes that Iw as on my drive home from the first day at my new job (hour and a half drive from northville to rochester) going on telegraph and smell a little coolant smell look down and sure enough temp gauge is tacked out. I pull over at the next moment it is safe, shut the car down and roll it onto a side street. Get out it is spewing coolant out of the overflow tube. So I took a few minutes and stood there, poured the bottle of water I had onto the coolant tank (really probably did nothing but waste my bottle of water). Then I decide it is safe to get it the 1 mile to my fiances parents house and be able to hose the car off and refill and such. so I get to he house after babying the car and shutting her down at the two lights I had to stop at on the 1 mile drive there. Get there spray stuff down pop the cap and it start sewing coolant out of the tank as expected so I keep spraying it down and then once cool enough I refilled the tank with hose water and drove the car the last half hour of the drive without the temp gauge going past half way at all.

Water pump would be simple enough but that will be a big pain in my ass since I don't think I woudl be able tog et a nice metal impeller one here for atleast a few days anda I still ahve to make this trip to work and back every day this week.

Thanx for the info. I guess we'll see in the morning. Maybe it will be fine and it was just a fluke thing that won't show its face again.

Umm are the fans coming on? :rolleyes: Post needs more ppl with moded cars that knows what they are doing. It's either the Fans or the WP. A 14mm deeper rad isn't going to keep your car from overheating. Who cares if you don't get a metal pump? I've never ran one. Never had any issues. Just get an aftermarket pump.

Last edited:
Did a little testing at lunch today (in diag mode the car was reading 230 and the fans were still not turning on), seems like my fans are not going on so I guess tonight i get the car home somehow and then start a mad hunt to find what isn't connected for the fans.

What's not connected? You do know ECT sensors and fuses fail right?

Well that is what I am going to have to figure out tonight. I will atleast check teh fuses and such before I leave the lot tonight but otherwise I probably have a bad ground or something, I checked the connectors on the fans and those are all good but didn't get a chance to look over much else.

yea im glad someone with experience on overheating issures on this platform chimed in, all i know of is plastic water pump failures on the svts.

yea im glad someone with experience on overheating issures on this platform chimed in, all i know of is plastic water pump failures on the svts.

that is not 100% correct .... it fails on all 98 and older V6 equipped cars ... its the black plastic impellar ... the new white ones are fine but the black ones will fail, its just a matter of when ...

dont overlook a bad ECT sensor as the problem as Todd mentioned, that could be a very probably cause. Your temp gauge runs off a different sensor, so just because your temp gauge reads doesn't mean the ECT sensor is functioning right.

The ground for the fans was on a bad bolt that is stripped. So I switched it to another ground bolt turned the car back on and the fan went on with the AC on then so all is well. Thanx for the help.

Back