• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Slipping out of gear

sportracer

CEG'er
I have 98 mystique 2.5 auto. My problem is this: It likes to slip in and out of gear. park works fine and when you shift into the gears you can hear it shift gears but it doesnt actually go into gear until you rev up the engine and then when you do get going after few seconds it kicks back out. What could be some problems?

I just replaced all the fluid and its all fine level wise
How long have you had the car? If since new, has the ATX ever been serviced?

It sounds like you need a new or rebuilt ATX. You didn't mention mileage but it's probably a higher mileage car and the fluid was not changed until you just did it but this was after your problem started.
Karl

The tranny has 43,000 miles on it, I took it out of my other car about 2 years ago and it was seperated from the engine. While putting back on i busted a couple of the mounting points so i replaced the bellhousing section. I finally got it back on the engine and got it to shift gears but now it likes to slip in and out alot an wont stay in gear for more then a couple mins or so and when it is in gear it doesnt feel like it is fully in. I was just wonduring if anyone knew what this could be so I dont have bring it to a tranny shop and pay mega $ or replace the entire tranny.

Ok, I found out the the possible trouble is my tranny being shot, I tried all the things the local tranny shop told me try. I called around to all the junkyards to see if they had the same tranny as the one in my car (I.E. same code) but no one had one. Now my question is: Is it bad to switch to a different code since I know they have a 1998 v-6 trannies out there or do I have to stick to the same code? Please respond asap because I need to get this thing up and running.

I just replaced the auto transmission in my '98 V6 and did as much research as I could about the trans codes. Thee is very limited infor about this but what I was able to find was that you have to stick with the same trans code or there is a very good chance that the transmission will not work properly. Considering how much time and effort it takes to swap it out, I strongly suggest to stay with the same code.

Mine was a -CA and it was fairly difficult to located another used one.

Solved the problem, ended up being the oil pump or torque convertor, who knows which one. So I ended up getting a used one from a local salvage parts place for $400 with 33,000 miles on it. It now runs fine, just finishing up a few last things on my 4 cyl. to 6 cyl. swap. I now have a vehicle with 43,000 miles on it, and a car worth 3,000 +.

Ill try and get a few pics up in the next day or two, but it wasnt really that hard to do. You need to replace almost everything LOL. I had most of it from my other car since i didnt need it anymore (Cant say why its top secert until its done). But i didnt have a few problems here and there but nothing really major.

Back