• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

selecting the correct turbo for a 2.5

yamaha racer 686

Hard-core CEG'er
well ive been reading Maximum boost by Corky Bell.

and i want to try and tackle turboing my car by myself using parts aquired from the local U-pull it.

Before anyone says that Natulius makes a kit i know. but i cannot afford the kit at this time and probally wont be able to.

for me it will be easier for me to piece a kit togeather using used parts. plus i get to learn along the way.

now the question is that out of this list http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4365.0;wap2 which turbos would be a good match to our 2.5L or 3L.??

well right off the bat you can through out all the MHI/Mitsu turbos as they are all way to small for the V6.

Some of the bigger mitsu turbo's would probably be fun for the low boost that most contour people run. The hot sides might be too small.

Since you're reading the book and trying to learn why don't you take some time to get the compressor maps and exducer sizes for the turbos and do some of your own figuring?

I wouldn't go much smaller than a t-28 and may have had great success with t3/t4 hybrids. Not sure how easy it would be to find those in a scrap yard is.

*I have a gt28r that I no longer use if you wanted to make an offer. I used it on my 2.5 until I blew the motor.

well right off the bat you can through out all the MHI/Mitsu turbos as they are all way to small for the V6.
Just a question, but wouldn't a turbo from a 2.5L WRX/STI be a decent application for the SVT 2.5L based on displacement alone?
I know many more factors go into turbo choice for a given application, but I was just thinking those turbos would be a cheaper way to go because you could find them as low-mile take-offs from Subie guys that upgrade :shrug: .
-J

Some of the bigger mitsu turbo's would probably be fun for the low boost that most contour people run. The hot sides might be too small.

Since you're reading the book and trying to learn why don't you take some time to get the compressor maps and exducer sizes for the turbos and do some of your own figuring?

yeah i need to find them!!

Just a question, but wouldn't a turbo from a 2.5L WRX/STI be a decent application for the SVT 2.5L based on displacement alone?
I know many more factors go into turbo choice for a given application, but I was just thinking those turbos would be a cheaper way to go because you could find them as low-mile take-offs from Subie guys that upgrade :shrug: .
-J

Not really the best match. The parameters for the compressor side are different. The STi is a low static compression ratio (8.2:1), with higher boost pressure. A mildly boosted 2.5L duratec might make the same output, but would have a higher static CR (closer to 10:1) and a lower boost pressure for the same intake air mass flow rate (ie roughly the same power output).
The compressor map may be broad enough for it to work, but its probably not as ideal as you might think.

Not to mention that if you ever want to upgrade your turbo in the future you are much better off having standard flanges.... not subaru or mitsu or IHI flanges

true but you could always cut the flanges off and re-weld the new ones on.

anyone know where i could find compressor maps for production cars with turbos??

Hey man, I've got a BRAND NEW still in packaging T3/T4 I'd be willing to get rid of. Let me know if you're interested it's perfect for these cars that's what I was running on my Probe Gt with a 2.5L in it putting out over 260whp

Back