• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

LCA removal again

Yep, I got mine from Steve too, but it took almost a month. He said he could get them for me quicker but it would have cost more. Mine are in really bad shape, I think one of my bushings is completely gone.

i know my drivers side ball joint boot is gone and the bushings are falling apart but the passengers was not to bad. kinda odd. makes me think it was replaced at one time. but for me if one side needs it why not do the other? lol
that and doing it myself saves a butt load of money.

my alignment changed after doing the passenger side for the better. lol

Yeah I tried getting them from Steve first, he's only twenty minutes from my house :D But he had them on backorder and you jerks must've gotten the last sets! :p JK

But yeah I waited about a week and then he found the delay on em was at least a week on the left side and more like a month on the right side. Could've rounded them up from other dealers for a price but I just ordered them from BAT where they had em in stock. We'll see when I get them :)

Did my passenger side today, was not too bad but it took all afternoon. Only problem is Steve sent me the wrong bolts. I would never have even realised except when I was torquing the first one up it broke. The ones he sent were about 8mm and the one they are replaceing are 12 mm. Got some grade 8 ones from the hardware store to tide me over till I can get these replaced. Added an extra hour to the job.
In any case the 85 ft-lb torque force seems really high. Pre 98 were only 64 or something according to the service manual. Just wondering if anyone else had similar thoughts?

Sorry, forgot to say this in the post above but thanks for your pictures and descriptions Jon, without them I would have been completely screwed this afternoon. Another fine CEGer

Back