• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

When to switch from summer to winter tires

D.Acker

Owner/LUCA’s *****
Admin
Quick question.. When does everybody start swapping out for their winter tires? Do you have a time every year (ie 3rd week in NOv), or do you just wait until they start predicting snow?

First year I have had to "switch" tires for winter.

I havent swapped any of my cars yet but I will start with one SVT this week and hopefully be able to wait until the end of the month for the other SVT and my WRX..

I refuse to put stockies on the WRX and make it ugly for my trip home to my relatives for Thanksgiving as some have not yet seen my recent purchase.

it snowed a little yesterday here in Madison but it melted immediately when it hit the ground.

I'm praying I can wait until the weekend of the 24-25 to swap the WRX.

i'm the guy that waits til snow drops, then followed by, "well :censored::censored::censored::censored:, time to put the crappy looking wheels on"

granted i've been tearing up my e1 tires since i need new rubber for winter, which my mommy and daddy need to address. :blackeye:
FIXED:laugh:

well one car has had the summer wheels swapped out already, since they are just about worn out they where not gripping well in the cooler fall weather. the other will be swapped when the snows go on the DD, normally around thanksgiving time

its said that when the temp is below 45* its time for winters. but i would say below 40*. 45* is way to warm. good summer tires loose their grip when its cold, not just when theres snow.

Last edited:
Well I only had a set of winter and summer tires one year. It went from fall to winter pretty quick and I knew I should change over when I slid half way across the Best Buy parking lot.

Here's something to consider

Here's something to consider

Snow tires are made of a special compound that makes them plyable in cold weather and the general rule of thumb is this, when the high temps start getting in the mid 40's, put them on and your good to go;)

lol

lol

i have some nice winter tires if any one needs some........:shrug:

4 215 60 16 dunlop sp winter sport tires used less then 2 months.still go for 600 at retailers will let go for a fraction of that.

I think I am going to put mine on this weekend. I have noticed less grip on my summer tires in the past few days.

how was that yesterday when it was 62 degrees outside? LOL

Took advantage of the nicer weather...... Plus I needed to pull the front wheels off anyway to check something out. Might as well swap tires at the same time

I'm going to have my Blizzaks put on my E1's after thanksgiving and throw away the current tires. Car has to look nice, even when it is covered with salt - buying 17's in a week or so, 18's in the spring :laugh:

Back