• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

True duals?

Was this over stock exhaust or what setup? Did you already have headers on there? I already have headers and an optimized y pipe, with a borla resonator, what kind of gains could I expect with true duals?

That was a fairly stock set up if I remember. No headers for sure. So that would only add more...figure totals would be at least 20 more hp to the wheels with both of them. If I had the money at the time, I would have ordered me some. And they ran under the gas tank in case you were wondering.

I didn't have headers, but gutted pre-cats (aka the "mystery mod") and my last dyno at SZ04' had me putting down a corrected 171 hp to the wheels. I had 2 1/4" piping (too big IMO), dual Magnaflow resonaters, dual Magnaflow race mufflers and the car was loud, too loud IMO looking back on it, but it did flow though:shrug:

I didn't have headers, but gutted pre-cats (aka the "mystery mod") and my last dyno at SZ04' had me putting down a corrected 171 hp to the wheels. I had 2 1/4" piping (too big IMO), dual Magnaflow resonaters, dual Magnaflow race mufflers and the car was loud, too loud IMO looking back on it, but it did flow though:shrug:

that car was ridiculously loud. I remember SZ05 when the best sound i heard was when chad ran out of gas...then we filled it back up and listened to a cessna the rest of the drive to the track.

It may flow, but it sounded like BALLS!

Don't forget to take wall thickness into account when you are doing your math. Most of the tubing is 16gauge so you can go with 1/16th of an inch for your calculations. So basically you have to take 1/16th off your radius.

So 2 2" pipes are ~5.52 in^2

a 3" ~ 6.49 in^2

Just so ya know.

You talkin side pipes like this?
side.jpg

So why do you say that 2 1/4 was too big? I just started shopping for mufflers and resonators, I am looking to go true dual this spring when I finally install my headers. I was looking into 2 1/4" piping mainly because I can find a better selection of mufflers.

Thanks

So why do you say that 2 1/4 was too big? I just started shopping for mufflers and resonators, I am looking to go true dual this spring when I finally install my headers. I was looking into 2 1/4" piping mainly because I can find a better selection of mufflers.

Thanks

Anything bigger than 2" on a 2.5L or a lightly modded 3L is overkill. The issue with running 2 1/4 is that you lose flow velocity. While you may gain a little up top, you will lose much more down low for sure.

On a side note, I just purchased HolyRollerzC3's old true dual exhaust and that will be installed on Tuesday so I should have some pics and possibly videos up the middle of next week...

Back