• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mike's tranny fix thread

my_black99svt

CEG'er
I am starting this thread so I have a place to scream as I attempt this repair.

I might need some encouragement when I decide that it would just be easier to take a sledge to the car. :laugh:

background: I bought my car several weeks ago. I barely got home with it. It wouldn't shift anymore. Alias came over and gave me the names of the various parts and showed me by worn out shift cable end. A part was ordered.

I later figured out that the shift cable end was not the problem. It was something internal. I pulled the shift tower, found it to be perfect. Then stuck my hand in the tranny. It was bone dry. I got pissed, stuck a rag in the shift tower opening and went on vacation.

Today I had a few hours to work on it. As a last ditch try before pulling the trans I decided to fill the trans with oil to see if it would free something up to begin shifting again. I didn't think it would work but I was only going to waste $10 if it didn't. Before doing that I stuck my hand in the tranny again and found a piece of destroyed metal on the bottom! CRAP!!:nonono:

My shift cable end came in. I pushed the bushing out and pressed it into the existing end on the car. That problem is fixed!!!

I filled the trans with oil through the shift tower opening. I didn't pay attention well enough and drained a bunch out the filler hole. I had pulled the fill bolt to be able to see when it was full. Fill plug in and it has oil! I cleaned the bottom of the trans real well to watch for leaks.

The shift tower and motor mount went on easy. Reinstalled the air intake. Then looked underneath for leaks. It is leaking from one of the bolts holding the dif case onto the trans. Guess that is why I didn't have oil.

Started the car and no go. I can get 1st and 2nd sometimes. R all the time. 3,4,&5th not at all. I did make my car back up and pull into its parking spot a few times! (I've got to get excited about something)

Next step
Drag it over to my gf's garage
Convince the ex to let me have some of my tools back
Closely read the repair cd that Todras sent me.

I've already had a couple of people send me pm.

EGL rocks.

I should meet you guys. When is the next meet?

wow, I am sorry to hear about all of this BS with the new car, I had a bad feeling about that guy selling the car.

where you shifting hard at high rpms on the way home after buying it? im sure you looked under the car b4 buying it and would have seen a puddle or a oily trans/diff. scrapbusters in westland or wayne sells all transmisions for $75, u gotta pull it yourself and they wont tell u if they have a contour to get the $1 entry fee.

Last edited:
I was in fact running on cruise control in 5th.
My guess is that with no oil in the trans a bearing or gear burned up. I did find a

I checked under the car for leaks. There was no evidence of anything leaking.

Pulling one trans is bad enough. Pulling 2. Nope not going too. Especially for a tranny that I don't know is good or not.

ShavedSVT has a tranny for $300 on the classifieds. Also there are couple of guys pm saying they have a trans and are offering help to make the swap. I'm going to go with one of those guys.

Eurotour has one with 90k on it if the others don't work out. I'm sure we can deliver to the E. side.

where you shifting hard at high rpms on the way home after buying it? im sure you looked under the car b4 buying it and would have seen a puddle or a oily trans/diff. scrapbusters in westland or wayne sells all transmisions for $75, u gotta pull it yourself and they wont tell u if they have a contour to get the $1 entry fee.

yeah they will, I called them numerious times, and if they dont have a part they can order it from another junk yard still for a fair price, check out scrap busters, ive been there a few times. I know they dont have any 98+ contours with an MTX, but im sure they can find you something and give you a quote.

Never ever seen an MTX in a yard. Here or Detroit. Some have to be out there but no way I'd get one out of a yard. That's insane! If you did it better be looked through.

I'd advise not putting in a higher mileage stock trans with these diff's like glass and issues with syncros, etc... Whether from a junkyard, or another CEG'er, a higher mileage trans should defenitly be well looked over before installation. Just my opinion.

Reebs

I'd advise not putting in a higher mileage stock trans with these diff's like glass and issues with syncros, etc... Whether from a junkyard, or another CEG'er, a higher mileage trans should defenitly be well looked over before installation. Just my opinion.

Reebs

www.batinc.net

has brand new MTX-75 for 1200

you buy the parts and ill rebuild your stock tranny for you. ill even pull the trans too. pm me if your interested

Plus alot for shippping, etc... I have a brand new OEM trans that I am willing to swap into his car for cheaper than that including labor. Paperwork for the new trans from Ford totals over $2,000 without labor!

eek.

I would go the Reebs or Shaved route, both of them know what they are doing and im sure are going to offer some fair prices to do it/sell the trans.

I am taking Reebs up on his offer. I am trying to figure when to do it now.

I guess there won't be as much swearing on this thread as I thought.

Alias, want to help turn a wrench?

I am taking Reebs up on his offer. I am trying to figure when to do it now.

I guess there won't be as much swearing on this thread as I thought.

Alias, want to help turn a wrench?

depends on when this all goes down. Im booked all day saturday. Friday is still a toss up for me too, I have a couple of things I realized that I had to take care of.

What is with you people and Terry Haines? There isn't just one person in the world who can build performance oriented MTX75s

Back