• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

E1's damaged after mounting

SVTJON87

Hard-core CEG'er
well i grabbed some Kumho Ecsta SPT 205/55R-16. while discount tire had there $100 off. OK these two rims that the tires are mounted to i refinished with duplicolors wheel paint. i was able to make them look flawless. i let them cure for 2+ months.

got the mounted and balanced, then they came back like this. it looks like they used a screw driver to pry my center caps out. or could the balancing of done this? or was it installers fault? i didn't look at them when i picked them up as they put them in bags for me. I'm pissed off. i spent way to much time working on these.

P1010037.jpg

P1010034-1.jpg

P1010029-1.jpg

when i fix these i have no idea how to blend the new paint into the old. I'm still working on the other 2 rims. one blemished so I'm sanding off all the paint i put on. the wheel paint is rock hard and very very hard to get off. so I'm stressed.

as of now I'm going back to discount tire and showing them what they did. and i just hope they refund all of my install money. but i really don't know what to do. if this is from balancing them that means every time i get them rebalanced this is going to happen. i have training in tire mounting and balancing so i know how to do it and know how it works.

Last edited:
id be pissed to thats not from balancing id make em pay for more than install:nonono:

i know! thats how i take them out. they are easy do take out by hand! no tools. thank you for your input. helps me out a lot.

ya go back and insert foot in ass the proceed to price them the removal of said foot from ass lol

ok i guess my only problem is that I am the one that refinished them. also the other 2 rims, one is partly sanded down, and the other just cleaned in prep for sanding. so i would have to get a quote for 2 wheels to be refinished/fixed. then do the work myself. i am not looking forward to doing the work. damn this sucks.

i forgot to add that the new tires not being stock size look huge! to me at least. the side wall looks big. but it is a 205/55. and my old ones had no tread. everyone that was at hooters last year can vouch for that.

P1010038.jpg

they put them in bags after you had them mounted? What type of place does that?

the type of place that damages your wheels and doesnt want you to notice until its to late:nonono:

well everyone i asked for $100 back and they gave it to me. the guy agreed that should not have happened and saw that they look brand new. so all in all i got tires for $300.:cool:

he told me that there is a different way to balance them so this will not happen again.

Never said ya didnt, people were just assuming it was from prying off the centercap... which is possibly not the case.

Never said ya didnt, people were just assuming it was from prying off the centercap... which is possibly not the case.

I assume it was from the removal of the caps base on the small indentations around the cap area (Old Cop work just doesn't go away) if the balance hub (retainer) the marks should have been elongated along the the cap edge from the spinning force and the loose fit of the hub retainer. Causing more a scratch mark than a pry mark. just my opinion base on 10 plus years of police work. BUt I could be way off the mark :shrug:

I had a VERY similar experience locally. I bought my tires at discounttiredirect.com and had the local tire shop mount and balance them for me. I get my car back with 2 rims that have these scuffs on them.
P_00305_small.jpg

I took it back that afternoon and showed it to the owner of the shop. He said take it down to the repair shop and have them send the bill to me. I did just that, and they look just like they did before. No money given back or anything, but now my rims are in as good of shape as they were when I gave them my car.
They think the tool who installed the tires put the rim on upside down or something. They are circular scrub marks. There were about 2 or 3 on 2 of my rims. :nonono:
Glad you got some money out of the deal though.
Erick --

Back